What Would You Do??

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 12:32am by dolly501

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 9

I have a BTB and mother wanting me to do a engagement cake, Well they first started out wanting a stacked cake 2 tiers and then cupcakes enough for 100 people, Then when i told them the price of my cupcakes, They changed there minds and now want a sheet cake icon_surprised.gif But yet they are still trying to get a good price, How would you handle this, I dont really know them just through a friend, And what in the world could you put on an engagement cake that looks classy on a sheet cake?? Im so stumped icon_cry.gif im to meet with her and discusse the options icon_rolleyes.gif

8 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 9

Honestly, sheet cakes are not the dirty word that some people think they are. What's so different about them? Well, they're less work in some instances! But you can still make them look pretty and classy with a good design! As for price, quote them the price and tell them it is not negotiable. Let them know this is what you charge, and if they can't pay that much they'll need to look for a cheaper alternative. Don't give them a discount just because they're trying to get one. Only give discounts or deals when YOU think it's appropriate. Good luck!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 9

I would first ask what their budget is. If they're looking to spend $30-$40 for that much cake i would send them to wal-mart or another store that can do a cake in their price range.

If they really want me to do the cake then i tell them this is how much it's going to cost. I charge the same per serving no matter whether it's a 4" tall cake a 2" tall cake or a cupcake. So it would be a mute point on exactly what they want from me, as they're ordering so many servings and that cost a certain amount.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 9

You say:
"I charge $xx per serving so a cake for 100 is going to cost you $X.
I understand if that's not within your budget."

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 9

a good bridal shower cake that works on any shape, is a flat cut out of the dress.
xx

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

a good bridal shower cake that works on any shape, is a flat cut out of the dress.
xx

This is exactly what I was thinking.

It would be classy, too, putting string work up by the bodice of the "dress" and using thin layer of fondant flowing down in folds--like fabric--down over the cake.

cost should be same on servings no matter how many.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

xx

This is exactly what I was thinking.

It would be classy, too, putting string work up by the bodice of the "dress" and using thin layer of fondant flowing down in folds--like fabric--down over the cake.

cost should be same on servings no matter how many.

Absolutely agreed! Or, if you just want to do it in buttercream, a rose tip makes beautiful ruffles, etc. Just look at some of the sheet cakes here... the talent is staggering. BUT... stick to your guns on pricing. Buckling gets around, and pretty soon everyone wants a discount.

Personally, I recently did a job for a cousin of mine whom I adore. I quoted her full price. She had no qualms... said she'd pay me whatever I wanted because my stuff is "So d**n good!". Then I chopped 33% off the price the day she came to get it because at NO point did she try to convince me to give her a discount. My respect for her not trying to 'cash in' on our relationship saved her a bundle. thumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 12:23am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

You say:
"I charge $xx per serving so a cake for 100 is going to cost you $X.
I understand if that's not within your budget."

This is what I'd say too.

dolly501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolly501 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 12:32am
post #9 of 9

I WOULD DO 52 PIECES AND PUT 1/2 ROSE ON EM WITH A CAYLX, THE COLOR OF THE BRIDES CHOICE, BUT STICK TO YOUR GUNS. YOU ARE IN THIS TO HELP, NOT LOOSE MONEY....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%