Fondant Vs. Gumpaste

Decorating By Kate2010 Updated 8 Dec 2010 , 8:15pm by aswartzw

Kate2010 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 5

I am new here, so please excuse, but I'm wondering what the difference is between fondant and gumpaste. I've used fondant once and I'm trying to do a winter themed tiered cake for my daughter's first b-day.

For a newbie, would it be extremely difficult to color the fondant/gumpaste? I love the pretty blues I see on the winter wonderland cakes, but it seems like it would be a lot of work.

4 replies
NanaSandy Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 5

I am fairly new here to, but I can tell you that coloring is very easy! Just start with a little bit, and add from there. Either fondant or gumpaste. The difference between the two is gumpaste dries faster, and it stretches easier and thinner. For covering the actual cake, you want to use fondant. Gumpaste is more for your decorations. I hope this helps.

Cake_whiz Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 5

Hi there,
Both of them are very easy to color. I use gel colors from wilton. Dip a toothpick in a jar of color and spread the toothpick over your fondant or gumpaste. Knead until your color is mixed properly.

As for the difference, fondant takes longer to dry and gum paste dries faster. It is usually good to mix half fondant and half gumpaste when making flowers or other cake toppers.

Kimmers971 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, what the others said about coloring are correct.

The difference between the 2 are fondant is meant to be eaten and gumpaste (although edible) is used for decorations mostly the type that need time to dry (like flowers, 3-d images). You can also decorate with fondant; however it doesn't not dry hard like gumpaste will. That is the basic differences.

So if you are planning on eating your covering, use fondant.

aswartzw Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 5

Coloring isn't hard, per se, just takes a lot of muscle and hard work and time. Just imagine kneading large batches of clay together until it's evenly mixed and you know exactly what it will be like. If I use premade fondant, I generally dye a small portion of fondant first and get that evened out and then add it to more fondant and do it at a time. More manageable for me.

Or if you make the fondant from scratch, you can mix the color in the liquid before adding the powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%