Preparing A Cake In Advance - How Much Can I Do?

Decorating By MissFluff Updated 8 Dec 2010 , 7:17pm by tigachu

MissFluff Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 3

I am planning on making a photo cake for my Dad. He is coming in from South Korea in a little over a week. I already have my edible images made. I am going to do a WASC cake.

It takes me FOREVER to make a cake. You can look at my cakes. See the sheltie fondant cake? Took me over 8 hours to make that sad little thing. icon_surprised.gif I sadly won't be able to be home the whole day because I have to go to work. So how much of this cake can I do the night before? Our freezer broke down back in October, and as a result everything in it has had to be moved to the fridge until after the first of the year when we buy a new one.

So I am not going to be able to stick anything in the fridge to cool overnight. There's no room at the moment. icon_rolleyes.gif Well, there might be a little room to store a few bowls of icing, but there's no way a whole cake is going to fit in there right now!

So without using a fridge to store the cake overnight how much of the cake do you think I can get away with making the night before?

2 replies
Kimmers971 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 3

You can do your cake days ahead. Bake and wrap tightly in plastic wrap (I use Glad Press & Seal). Then decorate in stages if needed, if using fondant it is sealing your cakes freshness in so even better. Don't worry, you don't have to do it all last minute to ensure freshness.

tigachu Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 3

I normally bake my cakes (and wrap in saran or press n' seal) 2 days before I need them, prepare the icing/fillings the day after I make the cakes and store them in the fridge. I decorate the day of because I am crazy icon_surprised.gif . I know there are better ways so I am now "watching" this thread icon_smile.gif

Thank you for posting your question thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%