Another Fbct Question...

Decorating By kryptonite Updated 8 Dec 2010 , 2:35pm by tryingcake

kryptonite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kryptonite Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 2

I am wanting to put a picture on the SIDE of a 13X9 cake. It is a long, skinny object (a lightsaber, to be exact...about 1/2 an inch by 12 inches)...the outline is kind of detailed, so the thought of piping it directly on the side of the cake scares me a little...Would that size fbct stay on the side of a cake? I think somebody mentioned using piping gel to stick it on, maybe? Also, has anybody tried doing a fbct of JUST the outline, and then filling it in once it's on the cake? Would that make it less likely to slide down the side? I hope that makes sense icon_confused.gif Thank you guys!!!!!

1 reply
tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite

I am wanting to put a picture on the SIDE of a 13X9 cake. It is a long, skinny object (a lightsaber, to be exact...about 1/2 an inch by 12 inches)...the outline is kind of detailed, so the thought of piping it directly on the side of the cake scares me a little...Would that size fbct stay on the side of a cake? I think somebody mentioned using piping gel to stick it on, maybe? Also, has anybody tried doing a fbct of JUST the outline, and then filling it in once it's on the cake? Would that make it less likely to slide down the side? I hope that makes sense icon_confused.gif Thank you guys!!!!!

No, a lining by itself will fall apart as a FBCT. IMO. I may be wrong.

Do the outline in piping gel on wax paper and press that in to the side of the cake. I put the wax paper on the cake (gel side down) and using a pastry brush gently brush over the paper so that the gel adheres to the cake. Depending on my needs, i sometimes tint the piping gel black.

I don't see why a FBCT wouldn't stick, as long as your icing is thick enough to hold it. I'm not sure though. i think you will have to give it a try and let us know. Have you thought about doing a CT? It may be lighter than a FBCT... or cutting one out of fondant, let it dry hard and stick it to the cake,. i know for sure that will stay put.

Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%