How Long Does Mexican Paste Last?

Decorating By Kandykin Updated 10 Dec 2010 , 1:33pm by Kandykin

Kandykin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandykin Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 4

I made a batch last month and didn't get to use all of it. I took it out today to do a figurine and it looks slimy on the outside with hard bits where it hadn't melted. Of course I forgot to freeze the remainder last month -guess I have to go get some gum paste.

3 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 4

I recall being told to use it right away (within 48-72 hrs.) or to freeze it.

I don't use it much. I find that I get similar results adding tylose to Wilton fondant and I can store that at room temp for eons.

Sorry this batch was a loss.
Rae

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 4

I find it keeps for about a week at room temperature, as long as it has been really well wrapped and then sealed in a zip-lock baggie. I usually freeze after making though - it's good for months that way (which suits me because I only use it with patchwork cutters which I rarely use)

Kandykin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandykin Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you Blakescakes and Coral3. I had never used it before and was curious about its uses and texture. Frankly, I kind of prefer the texture a little more than gum paste ( of course when its fresh). It seems more pliable and needs less shortening on my hands to work it. I'm guessing perfect for flowers, because I could roll it paper thin.

How do you knead it after it goes in the freezer? It was so hard when I first made it - I had to knead 1" pieces at a time to get it to the right consistency (kind of like modeling chocolate). My thumbs got quite a work out icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%