I Will Never Understand People

Business By karateka Updated 10 Dec 2010 , 5:10am by terrylee

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:29am
post #31 of 39

oh. my. goodness.
Don't get me wrong, she probably makes amazing tasting cake, and there's her reputation... but STILL...

I love the descriptions for each cake though, why each is supposedly worth it. Maybe I should begin to do that for each cake "exquisitely crafted scrolls lovingly applied with sweet royal icing....$15,000"

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:32am
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

Maybe I should begin to do that for each cake "exquisitely crafted scrolls lovingly applied with sweet royal icing....$15,000"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif You know ..... they say it's all in the marketing! You may be on to something! icon_lol.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:33am
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

Maybe I should begin to do that for each cake "exquisitely crafted scrolls lovingly applied with sweet royal icing....$15,000"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif You know ..... they say it's all in the marketing! You may be on to something! icon_lol.gif

Sometimes its all about the BS.... I mean um, marketing...

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:47am
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rharris524

Holy cow! At least it serves six...lol. I'm beginning to think that I seriously under charge icon_smile.gif

Her monogram cookies are $15 a piece! And I seriously saw a cake for $75 A SERVING!!

Edited to say $75, I had a mere $40 a serving, then rechecked!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 4:03am
post #35 of 39

I just went on Toba Garrets site.......HOLY........COW......!!!!! Did you see her class prices.....another HOLY COW...!

I'm going to have a whole herd of cows here pretty soon....that alot of BS.......lol

sweetonyouzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetonyouzz Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 4:42am
post #36 of 39

I have all her books and I love her work but wow...250 for a cookie and you are supposed to give this to you next door neighbr? Wow, I want to live in that area of town!! lol

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 4:51am
post #37 of 39

And Chef Toba gets those prices, too. It's not a matter of marketing, but a matter of what your market will pay. The only advertising she does, that I know of, is her website and word of mouth.

She's in New York City, she's an internationally-known, award-winning master cake decorator, and has several books, including two textbooks written on cake decorating that are used in the school where she teaches.

Move to NYC and you will be able to charge those prices, too.

I've taken all the classes she offers at ICE, and have socialized with her at Baker's Dozen East meetings. Her work is incredible, and so is she. I am proud to call her my mentor.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 5:03am
post #38 of 39

Ok, folks. see?? Look at your reactions and you all know and understand what goes into caking, etc.

So if you had this information at the front of your portfolio so cake civilians could see it?

yeah ..... it works! thumbs_up.gif

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 5:10am
post #39 of 39

I didn't mean to bad mouth anyone....(with the BS thing...I meant the wording part) . I've seen her work too......it is FANTASTIC....but that is a lot of money to ask and a lot to pay...but I guess you are right....New York is the place to do that...... If I could only be 1/4 as talanted as she is....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%