Cricut Cake Mini And Make The Cut Working Together?

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 8 Jan 2011 , 4:52am by VickeyC

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 24

I have both of these items and can not get them to work together. Anyone out that can help?

TIA
Sheila

23 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 24

Just answered your pm

sheilabelle Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 12:48am
post #3 of 24

Hey everyone, I was able to get it to work. Took me 4 times to figure it out. I can be a little slow sometimes icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilabelle

Hey everyone, I was able to get it to work. Took me 4 times to figure it out. I can be a little slow sometimes icon_smile.gif

can you share what you had to do? I imagine you won't be the only one with the same problem.

ScottAudette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ScottAudette Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 24

I'd love to hear how it all worked out. I just got a mini and I'm not sure if SCLA or MTC will work with mini?

Anyone?

sheilabelle Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 2:32am
post #6 of 24

Had to download Cricut Design Studio trial version ( http://www.cricut.com/CricutDesignStudio/Cricut_DesignStudio_FAQ.aspx ) and then update the firmware. After it is installed, you go the help button and then update the firmware. Make sure that your cricut is not hooked up to your computer while installing the software for cricut or the firmware. When this is done plug your cricut into your computer, open MTC and follow the instructions. MTC has an awesome forum that is very helpful. That is where I found my help.

Taigen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taigen Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 24

Just wanted to add that yes...make the cut forum people really are VERY helpful. Wish we had more cake people over there...hint hint

ScottAudette Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 24

Hi Sheilabelle,

Can you tell me which firmware selection you used? I have the cake mini and when I go to help-->update firmware--> I don't see any option for the mini. What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Scott

sheilabelle Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 10:58pm
post #9 of 24

I chose the Cricut Personal (the smallest, same as mini except for scrapbooking.). I just used it today. Still having some issue with the gumpaste but making progress.

ScottAudette Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 11:07pm
post #10 of 24

You rock. Thanks.

MAW137 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAW137 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 11:09pm
post #11 of 24

Did your mini come with the connecting cable? Mine did not.

ScottAudette Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 11:32pm
post #12 of 24

No cable with mine that I remember but I have a bunch of USB cables around the house.

MAW137 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 12:00am
post #13 of 24

Oh ok so any USB cable will work if it fits. Thanks

MAW137 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 12:03am
post #14 of 24

Well darn it. I can't use my MAC to do this.

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:12pm
post #15 of 24

I have MTC. It's not compatible with a Mac but I hear that SCAL is Mac Friendly icon_smile.gif

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:24pm
post #16 of 24

I'm wondering which program, MTC or SCAL, is the most versital and user friendly. I want to purchase one of the programs, but not sure which would be better. I've read that the possibilities are endless with one of the programs, but can't remember which one. Any help will be greatly appreciated. TIA
Vickey

leafO Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:44pm
post #17 of 24

My DH gave me MTC for Christmas and I love it! It has a lot of great features and is very user friendly. My sister has SCAL and I have used her program briefly. It's also a very nice program but MTC seems a little easier to use/ more user friendly to me.

With MTC you can install it on more than one computer which I like, I'm not sure if you're allowed to do that with SCAL. I like that I can load it on my laptop also and take it with me to work on designs while I'm away from home. MTC isn't mac compatible but SCAL is.

ScottAudette Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:15pm
post #18 of 24

SCAL is mac friendly. I got my cake mini working with SCAL for mac last night. I upgraded the firmware to the create firmware via the trial CDS. I have Parallels on my mac so I just loaded up CDS there.

Seems to work so far.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:13pm
post #19 of 24

I use SCAL on a Mac (although I have the Cricut Cake, not Mini). I had problems to begin with, but finally got mine to work with the Mac after emailing the support guys at Craftedge, they were very helpful. For some reason, the latest version of SCAL did not work for me. They emailed me various versions and we finally got one that worked fine on my Mac (an iMac that I only bought a couple months ago).

You can install SCAL on 2 computers. But they must both either be PC or Mac, it is not interchangeable. I have it installed on my Macbook at home, and iMac at work.

VickeyC Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 6:54pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafO

My DH gave me MTC for Christmas and I love it! It has a lot of great features and is very user friendly. My sister has SCAL and I have used her program briefly. It's also a very nice program but MTC seems a little easier to use/ more user friendly to me.

With MTC you can install it on more than one computer which I like, I'm not sure if you're allowed to do that with SCAL. I like that I can load it on my laptop also and take it with me to work on designs while I'm away from home. MTC isn't mac compatible but SCAL is.

Can you download any image from the computer to use with the MTC? I know that it would have to be changed from like .jpeg to SVG, but wondering if one program is more versitle than the other.

Thanks Dayti, ScottAudette and leafO for your replys.

leafO Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 9:01pm
post #21 of 24

With MTC you can use any image file such as a jpg png svg and it will trace the shape for you icon_biggrin.gif

It helps to choose images that are high quality with simple clean lines. Coloing pages make really nice images to trace icon_smile.gif

Sometimes I use photohop elements to 'clean up' the jpg first and remove any lines I don't want in the traced image but you can separate the image once it's traced and do that in MTC as well.

ccc407 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccc407 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 9:32pm
post #22 of 24

I have the Martha Stewart Cake Cricut. Does anyone know if I need to upload newer firmware for that particular machine. Also, will I also need to first download trial CDS prior to downloading MTC? TIA for any information y'all might have.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 9:54pm
post #23 of 24

Don't know about updating firmware for the MS Cricut model, but I did have to update the firmware for the original Cake for the newest version of MTC to work. You do not need Design Studio at all to use MTC - you just need the trial version to update firmware occasionally.

VickeyC Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:52am
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafO

With MTC you can use any image file such as a jpg png svg and it will trace the shape for you icon_biggrin.gif

It helps to choose images that are high quality with simple clean lines. Coloing pages make really nice images to trace icon_smile.gif

Sometimes I use photohop elements to 'clean up' the jpg first and remove any lines I don't want in the traced image but you can separate the image once it's traced and do that in MTC as well.

Thanks so much for the info. I will definately have to check into getting the MTC program. Any suggestions as to where to purchase?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%