Bake 800 Cake Balls?

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 7 Dec 2010 , 11:46pm by SPCC

sheilabelle Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 6

Anyone out there who is willing to help, I would be grateful. I have an order for 800 cake balls due in two weeks. Can someone help with a time line. I plan on baking the cakes ahead of time and putting them in the freezer. I will be using Indy Debi's BC recipe for the BC in the cake balls. I think I will take the cakes out of freezer, make into balls, bake at 300* for 10 mins. and dip. Will I then need to refrigerate the balls?

How early do you think I can start making the and dipping the cake balls and still have them fresh?

Any and all advise is welcome.

5 replies
imagenthatnj Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 6

I thought you don't need to bake the cakeballs after you have the cakes already baked?

Some people are not even using BC to moist them if the cakes are already moist enough.

playingwithsugar Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 6

Some people bake their cake balls, too. It's been mentioned here a few times, but not in a long time.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 6

I agree - I don't think you need to bake them after you take them out of the freezer if the cake is already baked.

What I do is pre-make both the cake and buttercream. I bake the cakes, crumble them when they're still nice and moist and then freeze the crumbs, flat in the a freezer bag. Then I make my buttercream and freeze that as well. I pull everything out of the freezer maybe 3 - 4 hrs before I want to work with it. You don't want your cake to be too cold when you coat with chocolate because sometimes the chocolate cracks.... and that also means you can't make them and then freeze them once they're totally completed because they could crack...

This is a toughy because even though you can do some of the work in advance, I think at least the rolling & dipping will have to be done the day before (IMO).

OR... you could always crumble, mix, roll them in a ball and freeze the balls. I would lay them flat on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper, and then once frozen, seal them in a freezer bag (that prevents them from sticking together). Then, take them out of the freezer maybe only an hour before coating them, so they aren't too cold, but aren't warm enough to get mushy & hard to work with.

sheilabelle Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 6

You bake them again because this will help with preventing cracking. The moisture in the ball will crack the chocolate. The baking forms a thin layer that will prevent this.

SPCC Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 6

I have made dozens of cake truffles and I freeze them before I dip them and I have NEVER had a problem with cracking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%