How To Make A 3D Truck Cake

Decorating By chrissyrose Updated 8 Dec 2010 , 6:12pm by Karen421

chrissyrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissyrose Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 5

I have a question, how to do I set a truck made of cake on top of a sheet cake? There is obviously a space between the bottom of the truck and the sheet cake, how do i do that? any advice would be very helpful!! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 5

i would use styrofoam or foam core to build a small platform for the truck body to sit on, allowing the wheels to look right and rest naturally on the sheet cake. Make sure you put some support (dowels or straws) into that sheet cake underneath where the truck will be resting. HTH!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 5

I just did a fire truck, (in my pics) and although I didn't put it on top of another cake, it would be the same. I used 1/4" plywood for the cake w/cake board to sit on and where each wheel went, I used 7/16" wooden dowels to hold up the plywood. I drill 4 holes in the plywood for the dowels to go into. Once the cake was done, I put the wheels on and they hid the dowels. HTH

chrissyrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissyrose Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you both, i really apprecaite it! def. helped! When I put the wheels on, am i going to slide the wheels on to the dowels first, then place the whole thing on the cake? Also, what can i make the wheels out of? cereal treats and covered in fondant? I think I saw some people used the a doughnut dipped in chocolate?!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 5

I made mine out of fondant with tylose, and used a toothpick and gum glue to attach them. Please post a pic, I bet it will be great! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%