Laptop Cake: How To Attach The Screen To The Cake

Decorating By Ellington Updated 8 Dec 2010 , 3:46pm by Debi2

Ellington Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 5

I have to make a laptop cake and I want to know how should I attach the screen to the cake. (the part that opens up)

4 replies
SummerSweets Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 5

Me and my dh did a laptop for my cousins grooms cake. We made the keyboard half the cake with a small cake for the mouse and just covered a piece of foam poster board with fondant for the screen half. We used "L" shaped brackets to attach the board to the cake. We used glue or brads to attach the brackets to the board and then just slid them under the cake. They stayed in place very well. We don't have an edible images printer so we just printed a peice of paper to put on as the screen. That part wasn't getting eaten anyway. HTH!

Ellington Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 5

What did you use to attach the fondant to the board? What type of brackets?

SummerSweets Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 5

Royal icing, frosting, or piping gel to attach the fondant to the board. It would be like covering a cake board in fondant. I'm not sure the exact name of the brackets. We got them in the hardware department at walmart though. Their an L shaped silver bracket (like for small shelves). They were perfect because they didn't have a hinge so they didn't move once we got them in place. Attach them to the board before you put the fondant on though so that you can cover them with the fondant too.

Debi2 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 5

I've often wondered myself how the monitor part was connected. Now I know! Thanks SummerSweets

Quote by @%username% on %date%