Tlc's The Next Great Baker

Lounge By mykidsarekillingme Updated 13 Dec 2010 , 5:17pm by cownsj

Julie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie53 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:50pm
post #61 of 89

I agree -they were not rumors- we have to take the bad with the good. We are all not perfect- and in my opinion(notice I said my opinion)- if you do something wrong/illegal- then you open yourself up to the public eyes and everything that goes along with it.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:54pm
post #62 of 89

Both of those topics were talked about here on a couple of threads, here is one of each:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-700187-romy.html+boss

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-693621-romy.html+boss

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 11:47pm
post #63 of 89

This is just an fyi for everyone (Oct. 23, 2010) in regard to his using the name "Cake Boss". Looks like a deal was worked out and he'll be able to continue using the name.

"New Jersey's most famous cake maker won't
have to change his name after all.

An agreement has been reached between a Seattle software company
and The Learning Channel, which airs the reality series "Cake
Boss" featuring Carlo's City Hall Bakery in Hoboken.

A federal judge in Washington state had temporarily barred the
show from using the name. Masters Software of Seattle has been
selling business software for bakery owners called CakeBoss since
2007, before the reality show went on the air.

An attorney for Masters says that under an agreement between the
parties, "Cake Boss" Buddy Valastro can use the name on the show
and Masters can still use it for their software and other items."

from: http://www.nj1015.com/Settlement-Allows-Hoboken-Baker-Use-Of--Cake-Boss-/8417902 and other sites have said the same thing too.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 1:52am
post #64 of 89

I was referring to the Remi stuff....

cownsj Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 1:58am
post #65 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I was referring to the Remi stuff....

Oh I know you were, I just know someone posted something about the name and when I came it across it looking up to see if the Grand Jury sent up an indictment on Remy, I figured I'd just post the info.

madgeowens Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 2:17am
post #66 of 89

oh...it was no longer available......what a shame.....I am sorry to hear that

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:32am
post #68 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

topics were talked about here on a couple of threads, here is one :

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-700187-romy.html+boss

Thanks for posting the link about the Cake Boss name being settled. I'm happy that kelleym, Official CakeBoss Rep, will be benefiting from the big dollars that TLC spends on advertising the Cake Boss show. I hope the regular Cake Boss comes back on, I like it (just don't like "Next Great Baker", yecch....)

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:10pm
post #69 of 89
Quote:

Well that is just awful!!! One could only hope it isnt true, but we always fear the worst. I dont watch the news much and didnt even know this had happened. Which sister is he married to?

tiggy2 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 8:07pm
post #70 of 89

I wouldn't think he'd be in jail if it wasn't true.

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 9:02pm
post #71 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Valid point tiggy2. Wow, that is just a shame. I often wonder what people are thinking.

cownsj Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 9:03pm
post #72 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

If and when he is convicted then we would know it's true (even then there are instances of innocent people being convicted of crimes). Especially with this type of a charge, police will quickly make arrests whenever possible to be on the safe side. And a grand jury only hears the prosecutions side of a story so that makes it easier to get an indictment, THEN he has to go to trial and I can't find anything to say that the Grand Jury has heard the case yet. I hope this doesn't come across as harsh, but I have a law enforcement background, and until he's convicted I can't say he is guilty of anything, he just doesn't have the money for bail right now.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 9:09pm
post #73 of 89

Gotcha--The charges are valid, they are not merely a bad awful rumor--it's an ongoing process to then determine guilt or innocence.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 9:27pm
post #74 of 89

I am sure the family would like to put it behind them, but it is true and he admitted it. You can google it and come up with a dozen new sources, here is one link:

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2010/08/details-emerge-on-cake-boss-arrest-did-remy-gonzalez-admit-to-se/

cownsj Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 9:33pm
post #75 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

I am sure the family would like to put it behind them, but it is true and he admitted it. You can google it and come up with a dozen new sources, here is one link:

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2010/08/details-emerge-on-cake-boss-arrest-did-remy-gonzalez-admit-to-se/

The reports are that he admitted it, and these people have come forward. While it would seem to be true, they have not been put under oath and have not testified yet, and no tape has been produced that I'm aware of yet. It seems like it could be an open and shut case, but ... I guess we'll have to wait and see what transpires in court. And he may even cut a plea bargain on it as well.

ChefCJ619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefCJ619 Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 2:40am
post #76 of 89

I actually did try out for this show, since I thought it was intended for amateurs looking to get a break, which I consider myself to be since I am self taught and have never worked in a bakery. I must not have been dramatic enough for them, since they didn't pick me. I haven't seen the show yet but don't really have any desire to watch it. Why not make a show with ACTUAL amateurs, like American Cake Idol or something like that?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 3:03am
post #77 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefCJ619

... Why not make a show with ACTUAL amateurs, like American Cake Idol or something like that?

icon_lol.gif

cownsj Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 2:30pm
post #78 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefCJ619

I actually did try out for this show, since I thought it was intended for amateurs looking to get a break, which I consider myself to be since I am self taught and have never worked in a bakery. I must not have been dramatic enough for them, since they didn't pick me. I haven't seen the show yet but don't really have any desire to watch it. Why not make a show with ACTUAL amateurs, like American Cake Idol or something like that?

It was meant for amateurs. Here is my post from a different thread with the original ad:

Ok, for those who aren't sure what the original casting ad was, I still have it and here it is (note, it says 1. "up-and-coming bakers"; 2. "launch the career of a promising cake decorator and baker"; 3. "Break into this highly competitive culinary world"; 4. "Do you believe you have the skills and drive to graduate top of your class?"; 5. "Will feature weekly lessons". Why the heck to professionals need weekly lessons? Plus, they didn't have any lessons) My favorite is 6. "No culinary experience required!". They should have added, As long as you are a professional....

NOW CASTING!
FROM TLC AND THE CREATORS OF "cake boss" COMES A NEW BAKING COMPETITION SERIES.

ARE YOU THE NEXT GREAT CAKE ARTIST?

Are you a natural born baker or artist? Can you make amazing masterpieces, crazy confections, or over-the-top cakes? Could you be the next pastry guru?

If so, the producers of "cake boss" are currently casting outgoing and competitive up-and-coming bakers who want their big break with the help of the "cake boss" himself!

TLC and Buddy Valastro (the "cake boss") are looking to launch the career of a promising cake decorator and baker on a new baking competition series. Break into this highly competitive culinary world with the help of Buddy and his team! Do you believe you have the skills and drive to graduate top of your class?

This new baking competition series, hosted by Buddy and team will feature weekly lessons, challenges, and eliminations. 10 hopeful contenders will vie for cash and prizes. No culinary experience required!

If you still wonder if this is accurate, it's still online: http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/cake-boss/casting.html

cownsj Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 2:32pm
post #79 of 89

I had turned on the end of a rerun of the show and noticed they edited it. On the original episode they asked the guy who made that statue cake if he wanted to give up his immunity, but that was edited out of the showing of it last night. I don't know if there were other edits as I only turned on the tv at that part.

tiggy2 Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 3:15pm
post #80 of 89

Well isn't that interesting. Do they think people won't notice that part was edited out?

Julie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie53 Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 3:27pm
post #81 of 89

I am totally NOT impressed with the whole way they went about this. It is NOT reality tv and it is certainly not an honest script and not using the people it advertised for. I am really not sure why Buddy is not stepping up here and making this show what it was intended to be for. As for the professionals on here- when I am probably as amataur as you can get & I could have done better. What is this producer thinking??? All they have to do is go to Face Book, Cake Central, and Cakes We Bake to get honest feedback and they would certainly change some things. Just my opinion- but really bad for Buddy! Wake up guys!

Kaytecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaytecake Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 4:55am
post #82 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

I had turned on the end of a rerun of the show and noticed they edited it. On the original episode they asked the guy who made that statue cake if he wanted to give up his immunity, but that was edited out of the showing of it last night. I don't know if there were other edits as I only turned on the tv at that part.

Thank You! I thought it was just me. I only saw the last half of the show when it first aired. I watched the rerun and it looked like they had edited out some bits. I could have sworn that the first viewing showed Kendra upset about having to get in the back of the truck. When I watched the rerun, it just showed her getting in the truck. I thought that I was having a senior moment. icon_confused.gif

madgeowens Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 6:26am
post #83 of 89

Remi is married to Lisa, the sister who was pregnant last season...I think it was, the end of last seasons episodes. I havent heard anything about this except in here, and it is a terrible shame.........however it is suppose to be innocent until proven guilty. Terrible shame.

madgeowens Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 6:30am
post #84 of 89

okay that story was dated September. Did I not see him in one of the previews as a judge???? For this new show?
Wow assaulting a boy yet.........disgusting and shocking..........I hope the story is wrong........

tiggy2 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 2:06pm
post #86 of 89

Guess it's not a rumor huh?

cownsj Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 3:02pm
post #87 of 89

The arrest isn't a rumor; but his guilt or innocence has yet to be determined.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:07pm
post #88 of 89
Quote:

by chance, was the episode you watched a 60 minute episode? The initial show ran long, to 10;15 on the first night. That's not a normal run time, and generally they need to edit that extra time out to fit into a 1 hour time slot.

cownsj Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:17pm
post #89 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

Quote:

by chance, was the episode you watched a 60 minute episode? The initial show ran long, to 10;15 on the first night. That's not a normal run time, and generally they need to edit that extra time out to fit into a 1 hour time slot.

I tuned in at the end of the show so I'm not sure. But you make a perfect point, and thanks for pointing that out for all of us. Yes, they would have to be editing throughout the show to fit it into an hour. Glad to realize it was simply a time thing and not a reactionary move on their part.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%