How To Approach The Owner Of Bakery With..

Business By ZlatkaT Updated 8 Dec 2010 , 6:10am by cheatize

ZlatkaT Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 12:00pm
post #1 of 11

In my town one bakery just recently opened. I was very excited to walk in, as the name of the Bakery was the same as the name famous Czech pasties. So I walked in and was very disappointed, that I did not see anything what the name said. The owner mentioned she just open and her kitchen is nor ready, so OK. I told her that I am original Czech and if she will need a help, she seams very interested and we exchanged phone#.
Now, ideas are clicking in my head. I feel she needs more product there, which I have. My husband keeps telling me to bake my best pastries and send it to the owner, which I planning to do. Now, what I would like to do is approach her with my idea, to bake for her shop, but be on my own. I don't want to give up my recipes and be baker-employee. I would like to rent her kitchen to bake for her, and possible for others. I know I would need permit and licence etc. So how can I approach her with my idea, and would that be profitable? Or should I start as employee and approach later? Of Course, that is if...she would be interested. I just want to be prepared. I feel like I could boost her business up. But I am sure she has some plan for her business, mas she just open. Any suggestions?

10 replies
visionsofprisms Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 11

I think your treading on fine grounds... If I had opened a bakery and someone was to come to me and tell me what I should do, I would be a bit offended. I mean after all it is my bakery.

I do not know a lot of bakers but I do think you will be hard pressed to find one that is going to allow you to use their bakery to gain profit for yourself, and not them. I am sure that you are a wonderful baker, but you gave her your information and she hasn't contacted you back. So either she is not interested or She is too busy right now trying to get her business started. Over loading her with baked goods, and information right now might hurt your chances of working there. Allow her to get started and actually get the bakery running.

But that is just my opinion.

ZlatkaT Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 11

thank you for your opinion, that's what I am looking for as I don't want to offend nobody, I am just crazy with my thoughts, and been pressured with husband and friends to bake a plate and give it to her, as a try "here this is what I am capable of" and as of "keep me in mind". You really don't thinks it would be a good idea to give her a samples? If I do that, I wanted to be ready in case of IF.
The bakery is kind of different from others, she focus on European pastries (she is not original from there, but she is familiar with the products)

costumeczar Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 11

It would probably be okay to take her a plate of samples and tell her that if she ever needs an extra baker, or is looking for food consignment items, you'd be willing to talk to her about it. Look at is as an interview kind of thing. I wouldn't go in and ask to rent space, that's a little too much.

visionsofprisms Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 11

It might be "OK" to take her a plate. I think it really depends how much is on her plate as an owner right now. How long has she been open?

When starting a business it can be stressful to get everything started. But if she has most of everything set up right now, then go for it. I do not know how European Business owners work. I just know business in the U.S.

If you make her a sample plate make sure you take it in, in person do not just send it to her. Make sure your plate has something to offer that maybe her store is lacking, but don't let her know that that is what you think.

All of those ideas running around in your head, write them down on a piece of paper, possibly carry some of them through in your sample plate, so she see's them/ taste's them.

However, I would not give her too many ideas until/ or if she takes you on as a baker. You would hate for her to take your idea, and then leave you at home baking for yourself.

I hope I have been of some assistance. You don't have to anything I say, it is just my opinion and I am no master business person. I just go by what the state tells us to teach our students in business.

scp1127 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 1:18pm
post #6 of 11

People who open bakeries have their own recipes and hire people to bake their way. She did not need a partner to open so I doubt she will be looking for anything more than a baker or decorator. But she may get really busy and the pastries you bake for her would go far to remind her of you when she does need someone.

Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 11

I also wouldn't give any of your special Czec recipes either....If she calls then maybe talk to her about doing something but don't give anything away....JMO

Cakenator Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 1:26pm
post #8 of 11

Don't do any of that. Apply for a job if you are looking.

Business owners are stubborn people who do NOT like being told what they are doing wrong. Trust me, I know. I am one.

ZlatkaT Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 1:50pm
post #9 of 11

No, I don't want to tell her what to do, and don't want to give up my recipes, but as customer who walked in, and view her website, I feel there is something missing. I guess, the true in my head is, that there is a bakery, specialized on product I know very well and I wanted to be somehow involved as a independent baker to bake for her shop, not the product she has on list, but my products that I think is missing there and would FIT there completely. That's pretty much all about. But if she contact me, I might start for her and deal with this later. Sorry I know this is pretty much of IF IF. But I can not get the bug of my head.

costumeczar Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:48pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakenator

Don't do any of that. Apply for a job if you are looking.

Business owners are stubborn people who do NOT like being told what they are doing wrong. Trust me, I know. I am one.

Hahahaha!

cheatize Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 6:10am
post #11 of 11

It sounds to me like your head is spinning with ideas your own bakery. The owner of that bakery has her own ideas and she will want them implemented. She has likely spent tons of time planning, dreaming, saving up money, and purchasing supplies.

If you came to me with food after I told you'd I would call, I would not think very kindly of you. Keep an eye on the place and a year from now, if is not doing that great, then approach her with your creations, but still try to keep your ideas to yourself for the most part. Business suggestions should come from dear friends or from people who are asked for their opinion.

Right now she's trying to tread water getting her business up and running. She will view you as telling her she can't do it, telling her she doesn't know what she's doing, or that you are trying to take over her business but aren't willing to start your own.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%