How Do I "make" Snow Without Using All Of My Edibl

Decorating By SweetsbyLadawn Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 4:42pm by kcassano

SweetsbyLadawn Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 10:51am
post #1 of 18

That glitter is so so expensive. is there anoth good snow alternative? Ty in advance.

17 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 11:27am
post #2 of 18

powdered sugar

brincess_b Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 11:40am
post #3 of 18

Royal icing can make good snow aswell.
xx

Loucinda Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 18

I put the stuff in a thumb pepper grinder...it goes a lot further that way.

This is the one I use:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002IXNGI/?tag=cakecentral-20

CWR41 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 18

chopped shredded coconut.

Motorhead Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 18

i use a combination-base of white buttercream then sprinkle decorating sugar on top....glistens just like snow!!

Cake_whiz Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 18

Yeah, the glitter is pretty pricey. Have you tried powdered sugar?

SweetsbyLadawn Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 18

Thank you - It is for the inside of a "snow globe"

hbarberycakes Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 9:54pm
post #9 of 18

Coconut shavings?

Kitagrl Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 10:13pm
post #10 of 18

That white wilton edible "glitter" isn't too bad with a coupon at Michaels...then just use royal or buttercream for the "snow" and put a thin coating of the wilton glitter over the surface.

hbarberycakes Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 10:41pm
post #11 of 18

i just realized my comment looked like a question. Correction: Coconut shavings!

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 11:10pm
post #12 of 18

What if you finely grated white chocolate?

hbarberycakes Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 11:28pm
post #13 of 18

or even crushed up ice cream salt will work possibly

milkmaid42 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 11:35pm
post #14 of 18

Hi

I don't know what your time line is, but here is a recipe for making your own edible glitter:

EDIBLE GLITTER

Put 2 ounces of gum arabic and 1/2 C. water into a double boiler. Stir occasionally while heating over hot water. When melted, strain through a piece of fine muslin. (Cheesecloth is a little too coarse a weave.) Color as desired. (Light brown and yellow make a beautiful gold.)

Dip a stiff brush into the gum and brush it lightly over pieces of clean, polished glass. Dry in a warm room, or use a SLIGHTLY heated oven.
When dry and set, scrape or brush the brilliantine (glitter) off the glass and use it as is, or crush with a rolling pin to make smaller granules.

This may be used for spangling cookies or cakes.

I personally, haven't used this recipe. I was just excited to find it and filed it away for future use. The author, (unknown) says it has been tested in a test kitchen, so I hope this helps you.
I have purchased gum arabic on line on one of the many cake sites. You shouldn't have any trouble.

Good luck. With Christmas soon upon us, this is probably something I will be making, myself.

Jan

johnson6ofus Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 1:52am
post #15 of 18

I have used my micro grater (zester) and grated white almond bark.

Jennifer353 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 11:54am
post #16 of 18

I know you have lots of ideas now already but my two penneth worth - regular granulated sugar sprinkled

dchockeyguy Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 9:00pm
post #17 of 18

White Chocolate with a microplane works wonders for giving a snow effect. Especially if your cake is already white, as it tends to have a slightly different color so it shows up even on white.

kcassano Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:42pm
post #18 of 18

I just did winter themed cake....the tiers had "snow" on top of them. i used sanding sugar. I mixed just a little bit of the rainbow twinkle dust in with the sugar to give it that extra sparkle. just brushed the fondant lightly with water and pressed the "snow" into the fondant. was super easy (little messy), but easy. i used 3/4 of a 5.6 oz bottle of white sanding sugar (got it from Michaels for like 4 bucks). the tiers i put it on were 8 and 5" rounds. after the fact, i realized that i really didnt need to completely cover the top of the one layer -- because it was covered by the other. doh! so i probably wouldve used less sugar than i did. HTH.

ok. tried to include a pic, but its not working. i have pics in my profile...
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1887610

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%