Cricut Cake - Icing Sheets On Buttercream?

Decorating By Gtrcoop Updated 7 Dec 2010 , 5:04am by sweetcakes

Gtrcoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gtrcoop Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:34am
post #1 of 2

Just received the Cricut Cake Mini for an early X-mas present and would be using it solely (at least initially) for lettering my cakes. I'm a buttercream decorator and don't use fondant at all.

I was wondering if anyone has used the Cricut icing sheets on a buttercream cake? Does the icing sheet letter keep its shape overnight? Also wondering if the colored icing sheets would bleed atop a white buttercream cake?

When I was told about the Cricut Cake a year or so ago, I thought it would be neat and possibly allow for some great lettering but was hesitated on the purchase because I don't use fondant. Since I'm all about piping with buttercream, I knew I didn't want to have to mess with making/rolling fondant out to make the letters. If I'm going to do that, I should just continue to pipe the letters with buttercream (although it will NOT look as great as a cool font cut from the Cricut). That's why I would use the Cricut icing sheets exclusively for ease.

I read another post here that said the icing sheets taste like cardboard. Is that true?

I haven't open the Cricut Cake yet, as I'd like to get some opinions out there in case I need to return.

Thanks in advance!

1 reply
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:04am
post #2 of 2

unless you plan on cutting quite wide letters im not sure you will have much success with it. As you are a piper a projector might be better so you can pipe fancy fonts on your cakes. As for the icing sheets i have some that came with my machine, they do taste awful, but i dont know if they would bleed or not, i have not used them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%