First Gingerbread House

Baking By dawncr Updated 10 Dec 2010 , 6:27am by Corrie76

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:03am
post #1 of 25

Not sure it's appropriate to call it gingerbread, because it's made of graham crackers. Learned several things, and am already thinking about what to make next year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27321134@N08/sets/72157625545974642/

Penguins inspired by (and flat-out copied from) CCers: aine2, mya-carden, Bourgonsgirl, Carli723, cakebaker1978, DeniseRoy, and cakesalot13.

Anyone else making a gingerbread house this year?

24 replies
crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:29am
post #2 of 25

Yes, Our restaurant employees each made one for the first time last year, and we displayed them in the restaurant. Our customers loved them and wanted to know how to make them. So this year I taught 25 "first timers" how to make and decorate a gingerbread house. They all enjoyed themselves, and are already planning for next year! You did a beautiful job on yours as well. I know you had to have had fun, and a new tradition!

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:43am
post #3 of 25

I baked 19 houses worth of pieces today! Tomorrow I will make the candy windows and attach them, Wed. I will decorate the pieces with RI and after it's all dry, will then put all the pieces together. Hopefully by Thurs. I will have 18 gingerbread houses icon_biggrin.gif

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 1:22am
post #4 of 25

I think making them with graham crackers the way you did is harder than making with gingerbread.. It is very cute.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 1:34am
post #5 of 25

very cute, i just bought the wilton ginger bread house cuttters today i want to make one so bad. i just hope i get the time with everything else going on

dawncr Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 3:18am
post #6 of 25

Wow, crumb and Madame, you two put me to shame with the amount of gingerbread you do.

I understand how one can get bitten by "the bug" of gingerbread house-making.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 3:42am
post #7 of 25

dawncr, that is too adorable for words! I'm putting in my fav's.

MadameRaz: You are either inspired or crazy. Let's be kind and go for inspired.

I just finished my 2nd gingerbread house (ever) using the Wilton Giant GB kit and not even making my own GB it took me 15 hours for the 1st house and "only" 10 for the second. I'm exhausted! I made the 2nd house (not in pics yet) for a really grouchy teacher that nobody likes and just had her pay me for the ingredients. After delivery today at the school we sat down and talked for the first time and I learned that she has a 27 yr old son in a Sober Living House and suffers from depression. Maybe my GB house will be a blessing to her home--I hope so. It was worth every minute I put into it.

You can see my 1st GB house on my site (click on the www below). I am VERY proud of that puppy!!! I donated it to the before/after Care program at my niece/nephews elementary school. Since there are about 150 kids in the program, I also made 175 mini-cutter GB cookies (plain, NOT decorated) so each of the kids could eat one GB cookie.

Now I'm taking a LOOOONNNGGGG nap!

Corrie76 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 4:14am
post #8 of 25

I willingly admit to both: inspired and crazy dunce.gif , but once you get started, making 19 houses is only about 24 hrs worth of work (12 of it baking!) so if you break it down it's not too horrible. 7 of the 19 are in fact complete! YAY! they are something new I've never tried - I will post tomorrow... anyways, what I did was used water thinned gingerbread dough to pipe on designs to the pieces and after they were baked I glazed them with thinned RI and brushed them with a sponge brush so the baked on designs would stick out- they are cool! The rest are plain ones and will get decorated tomorrow.
I give them every year as Christmas gifts to family and friends and besides the investment in time, they save me so much money that I would've spent buying them all gifts.

Cake_whiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_whiz Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 4:27am
post #9 of 25

I made my very first one last week too but yours is just the cutest. I love how you added penguins.

Apti Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 1:12pm
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameRaz

I willingly admit to both: inspired and crazy dunce.gif , but once you get started, making 19 houses is only about 24 hrs worth of work (12 of it baking!) so if you break it down it's not too horrible. 7 of the 19 are in fact complete! YAY! they are something new I've never tried - I will post tomorrow... anyways, what I did was used water thinned gingerbread dough to pipe on designs to the pieces and after they were baked I glazed them with thinned RI and brushed them with a sponge brush so the baked on designs would stick out- they are cool! The rest are plain ones and will get decorated tomorrow.
I give them every year as Christmas gifts to family and friends and besides the investment in time, they save me so much money that I would've spent buying them all gifts.

Yes! Want Pictures! Soon!
BTW, I wish to bow in admiration and respect for the talent shown in your Zombie cookies. Those are so FREAKIN' cool! I gotta make those. When I deliver them I can walk like a zombie...aaaah, the possibilities.......

Corrie76 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 5:32pm
post #11 of 25

I just posted the first 7 that I described. They are kind of plain (my kids description of them) but sometimes that's a good thing for people who aren't into the whole bag o'candy per house type thing. Tomorrow, I'll post the rest icon_biggrin.gif
BTW thanks for the compliment on the Zombies. My cousin and her husband are professional zombies, they work haunted houses and hire out for events. She also knits zombie dolls and the cookies are based on her dolls you can check them out here on her etsy page: www.mischiefmaker.etsy.com

Apti Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 11:00pm
post #12 of 25

dawncr and everybody else on this thread, check out MadameRaz's pics. It's amazing to go from one wonderful style like dawncr's colorful, playful, darling penguins to the European look of MadameRaz white only traditional houses. [MadameRaz, you have to give us instructions! please?)

I love CC. I want to give all of you a big, fuzzy hug right now...sniff.....

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 11:13pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncr

Not sure it's appropriate to call it gingerbread, because it's made of graham crackers. Learned several things, and am already thinking about what to make next year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27321134@N08/sets/72157625545974642/

Penguins inspired by (and flat-out copied from) CCers: aine2, mya-carden, Bourgonsgirl, Carli723, cakebaker1978, DeniseRoy, and cakesalot13.

Anyone else making a gingerbread house this year?

Ahhhh , it's adorable and I love, love, love those pinguins they're sooo very cute!!

I made a gingerbread house (with a kit) with my granddson, but I won't post it here since is not very cute and my granddson kept eating the candy so we runned out lol icon_biggrin.gif

dawncr Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 1:29am
post #14 of 25

Thanks for the heads up, Apti.

I love, love, love that technique, MadameRaz! I adore the simplicity and elegance of the baked-in designs highlighted with white. Beautiful.

I'm thinking now I'll try something like that next year, if you don't mind others trying out your technique, Madame. (I'm just a hobbyist, and don't sell anything.)

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 1:40am
post #15 of 25

This is wonderful! Love the little penguin making a snow angel.

Corrie76 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:49am
post #16 of 25

Anyone can and should try it, I absolutely can't take credit for the idea either. K8memphis is the one who suggested it last week and I thought I'd give it a try on the gingerbreads.

Apti Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 1:54pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_whiz

I made my very first one last week too but yours is just the cutest. I love how you added penguins.

CakeWhiz, I just took a look at your link and saw your GB house and the wonderful tutorials! Wish I'd seen those tutorials BEFORE I did my first one... I did all the rookie mistakes. I really liked your red vine edges and candy disk roof. GB houses are great, you can do SO many things!

I'm going to check out the book by Teresa Layman, "Gingerbread for all Seasons". Thanks for recommending it.

Corrie76 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 6:36pm
post #18 of 25

....just posted some more houses. These ones are covered in fondant!

Corrie76 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 8:58pm
post #19 of 25

I am officially done! I ended up with 18 houses total - which is great, I baked for 19 and only one piece broke(I probably could've fixed it but I'm too pooped for another). I started on monday, took tuesday off, and will have to wait until tomorrow to wrap them up in cellophane. The best thing is that over a dozen people on my Christmas list just got taken care of!

cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 9:13pm
post #20 of 25

I did one this year, just remeber to let the base dry for at aleast an hour before putting the roof on. icon_smile.gif

mommynana Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 1:13am
post #21 of 25

my 4 ys old grandsons just decorated this one ( i made the gingerbread thou)

mommynana Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 1:14am
post #22 of 25

cant attach in my photos

Apti Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:11am
post #23 of 25
Quote:

I am officially done! I ended up with 18 houses total - which is great, I baked for 19 and only one piece broke(I probably could've fixed it but I'm too pooped for another). I started on monday, took tuesday off, and will have to wait until tomorrow to wrap them up in cellophane. The best thing is that over a dozen people on my Christmas list just got taken care of!

APPLAUSE, APPLAUSE!!!!!! You are incredible, woman! I am inspired.

dawncr Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 4:46am
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

Quote:

APPLAUSE, APPLAUSE!!!!!! You are incredible, woman! I am inspired.

Ditto! And they're all absolutely gorgeous!

MadameRaz, do you use a laminated template or some kind of cutter for your houses? They are all so consistently perfect.

Corrie76 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 6:27am
post #25 of 25

I use a home-made template cut out of heavy cardstock. I use one of those sewing thingys that looks like a pizza cutter (lol, can you tell sewing isn't my forte`) I cut before and after baking...before to conserve dough and after to straighten everything up to the exact shape.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%