Lounge By madgeowens Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 5:12am by playingwithsugar

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:56pm
post #61 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

I liked the show. Somebody shoot me.

LOL

Buddy Buddy Buddy....you have a great thing going otherwise...
as a viewer and a baker, this is my advice...

take out the cheesiness and you'll improve the show 1000 fold...

Give everyone their own equipment....yeah, ok...in a real bakery they may have to share, but they are also not in a competition for $50,000.

Get rid of the immunity...if he stayed becasue he did a good job in part 1 where they baked, terrific...but that celebration cake was pitiful...
they were all pitiful.(that wolf thing was something else...)..these are all pros. I certainly wouldn't book my wedding cake with any one of them if I only had this show to judge them by. What's the point of making everyone look bad??? It makes the show look bad .

I guess Mary is portrayed this way for ratings...similar to what they make Kerry look like on FNC....from what I have heard, she's actually a very nice person...I hope Mary is not really like that...

The truck is just ridiculous...

Bottom line....you have the potential of having a fabulous show...obviously you have a huge audience...no need for gimmicks..

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:11pm
post #62 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

I guess Mary is portrayed this way for ratings...similar to what they make Kerry look like on FNC....

Yeah, and Simon Cowell made American Idol have the ratings it has. But how many times do we need to see the same schtick? The concept of the bad-guy judge has been exhausted - Kerry, Leigh, Cowell, Bourdain - enough already. It just doesn't make for Must-See-TV anymore.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 6:12pm
post #63 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Quote:

I guess Mary is portrayed this way for ratings...similar to what they make Kerry look like on FNC....

Yeah, and Simon Cowell made American Idol have the ratings it has. But how many times do we need to see the same schtick? The concept of the bad-guy judge has been exhausted - Kerry, Leigh, Cowell, Bourdain - enough already. It just doesn't make for Must-See-TV anymore.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

yeah!!! what she said!!

Kaytecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaytecake Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 6:49pm
post #64 of 289
Quote:

Buddy Buddy Buddy....you have a great thing going otherwise...
as a viewer and a baker, this is my advice...

take out the cheesiness and you'll improve the show 1000 fold...

Give everyone their own equipment....yeah, ok...in a real bakery they may have to share, but they are also not in a competition for $50,000.

Get rid of the immunity...if he stayed becasue he did a good job in part 1 where they baked, terrific...but that celebration cake was pitiful...
they were all pitiful.(that wolf thing was something else...)..these are all pros. I certainly wouldn't book my wedding cake with any one of them if I only had this show to judge them by. What's the point of making everyone look bad??? It makes the show look bad .

I guess Mary is portrayed this way for ratings...similar to what they make Kerry look like on FNC....from what I have heard, she's actually a very nice person...I hope Mary is not really like that...

Bottom line....you have the potential of having a fabulous show...obviously you have a huge audience...no need for gimmicks..

ITA. You make so many good points. I think that many people here agree, that the average person hasn't a clue as to how much skill, time, work and money goes into making beautiful cakes. This show doesn't help.

I am going to have to catch one of the reruns to see what I missed. I know that all of these shows have a formula, more or less. They have to have drama and snide remarks but they also have some spectacular results. From what I saw of this show, I was shocked by the skill level of the contestants, the forced remarks of Buddy, et al, and the disrespectful way they handled the elimination. I watch Project Runway and Top Chef and, yes, they are critical of the losing three, BUT- they let them leave with some dignity. When the woman (Kendra?) was outside by that truck, she looked like she wanted to bolt rather than climb into it. It was uncomfortable to watch. Nothing like kicking someone when they're down.
Especially when she didn't make the worst cake. Must be a "Jersey thing". icon_rolleyes.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:54pm
post #65 of 289

I wouldn't say it's a jersey thing - I have friends there who would pull their own teeth out before they'd humiliate someone that way.

I wouldn't say it's an Italian thing, either. There's a lot of respect and dignity in the Italian culture, and from what I've read so far, this show is extremely disrespectful.

Anyway, the show is being aired again at 6 p.m., Eastern Time. I missed it the first time, so I made sure my reminder is already set. I'll post my opinion afterward.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:58pm
post #66 of 289

You're in for a treat! icon_cool.gif

Kaytecake Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 9:13pm
post #67 of 289
Quote:

I wouldn't say it's a jersey thing - I have friends there who would pull their own teeth out before they'd humiliate someone that way.

I wouldn't say it's an Italian thing, either. There's a lot of respect and dignity in the Italian culture, and from what I've read so far, this show is extremely disrespectful.

Anyway, the show is being aired again at 6 p.m., Eastern Time. I missed it the first time, so I made sure my reminder is already set. I'll post my opinion afterward.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I meant no harm by the "Jersey Thing" comment. New Jersey is the new flavor for pop culture- The Real Housewives of New Jersey, Jersey Shore, Jerseylicious, even South Park dedicated an episode-"It's a Jersey Thing" to the state. Why not Hoboken's Buddy V?

I have a friend from NJ who is as proper and cultured as can be and is not happy with how her state is portrayed on TV. I say, it'll run it's course and they'll find a new group to play with. icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 9:20pm
post #68 of 289

Kaytecake -

No, no, I'm not expressing any anger in what I said. Don't take it wrong - just rebutting the comment. I'm cool. It's all cool.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Kaytecake Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 10:27pm
post #69 of 289
Quote:

Kaytecake -

No, no, I'm not expressing any anger in what I said. Don't take it wrong - just rebutting the comment. I'm cool. It's all cool.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Theresa- I didn't think that you were angry at all. It's just a Jersey world for now and it's all over TV. Many states get stereotyped- Massachusetts has bad drivers, Ex Mayor Koch said that everyone in upstate NY wore gingham dresses and sears suits and drove trucks with gun racks or some such nonsense. It's just Jersey's turn in the barrel. icon_smile.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 11:46pm
post #70 of 289

This is just an fyi for everyone (Oct. 23, 2010) in regard to his using the name "Cake Boss". Looks like a deal was worked out and he'll be able to continue using the name.

"New Jersey's most famous cake maker won't
have to change his name after all.

An agreement has been reached between a Seattle software company
and The Learning Channel, which airs the reality series "Cake
Boss" featuring Carlo's City Hall Bakery in Hoboken.

A federal judge in Washington state had temporarily barred the
show from using the name. Masters Software of Seattle has been
selling business software for bakery owners called CakeBoss since
2007, before the reality show went on the air.

An attorney for Masters says that under an agreement between the
parties, "Cake Boss" Buddy Valastro can use the name on the show
and Masters can still use it for their software and other items."

from: http://www.nj1015.com/Settlement-Allows-Hoboken-Baker-Use-Of--Cake-Boss-/8417902 and other sites have said the same thing too.

playingwithsugar Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 11:57pm
post #71 of 289

Go, Kelley!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 12:20am
post #72 of 289

OK, I'm back. I went to the website to read the contestant bios. I watched the episode. I took notes.

1) - I was away from CC and the other boards for a while, due to lack of computer, so I'm not all that familiar with the recruitment process for this show. Were the contestants, indeed, supposed to be amateurs? The intro said "10...best bakers" - which to me, means that they're already in business and have built a reputation.

2) - The Baker's Challenge - the challenge was to present, "your best dessert." I find it unfair that cake was expected to be in Dana's dessert.

I found the criticisms in this section to be of a constructive nature.

3) - For the Elimination Challenge, the bakers were given 9 hours, not 7, as previously stated.

4) - There was more RKT than cake in Pamela's display, and it looked like it went through a war. In other network's cake challenges, cleanliness is an important factor in judging, and her station was a mess of gold all over the place. She should have gone home. Maybe Kendra asked to go home, because she missed her daughter so much. With all the editing they do on these shows, we'll never know, will we?

5) - The selection of the top and bottom 3 were correct.

6) - The criticisms of the bottom 3 after the elimination challenge were definitely taken too far. And the truck has to go.

7) - The show has taken all it's rules from Top Chef and Project Runway.

icon_cool.gif - I have to wonder - Is this show going to be just about cake? Bakers bake lots of things, not just cakes. Perhaps they should have named it The Next Great Cake Designer.

And by the way - as of my last look, there were no comments in the TLC forum for the show. Go get 'em, Cakers!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cownsj Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 2:48am
post #73 of 289

Ok, for those who aren't sure what the original casting ad was, I still have it and here it is (note, it says 1. "up-and-coming bakers"; 2. "launch the career of a promising cake decorator and baker"; 3. "Break into this highly competitive culinary world"; 4. "Do you believe you have the skills and drive to graduate top of your class?"; 5. "Will feature weekly lessons". Why the heck to professionals need weekly lessons? Plus, they didn't have any lessons)

NOW CASTING!
FROM TLC AND THE CREATORS OF "CAKE BOSS" COMES A NEW BAKING COMPETITION SERIES.

ARE YOU THE NEXT GREAT CAKE ARTIST?

Are you a natural born baker or artist? Can you make amazing masterpieces, crazy confections, or over-the-top cakes? Could you be the next pastry guru?

If so, the producers of "Cake Boss" are currently casting outgoing and competitive up-and-coming bakers who want their big break with the help of the "Cake Boss" himself!

TLC and Buddy Valastro (the "Cake Boss") are looking to launch the career of a promising cake decorator and baker on a new baking competition series. Break into this highly competitive culinary world with the help of Buddy and his team! Do you believe you have the skills and drive to graduate top of your class?

This new baking competition series, hosted by Buddy and team will feature weekly lessons, challenges, and eliminations. 10 hopeful contenders will vie for cash and prizes. No culinary experience required!

If you still wonder if this is accurate, it's still online: http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/cake-boss/casting.html

cownsj Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 2:52am
post #74 of 289

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that the ad says "10 hopeful contenders will vie for cash and prizes", not anything about a job. Though, having read about the problems with Remy, it occurs to me that maybe they changed the show because they believe they will need a replaced for him. He could have reached out so easily to do that and didn't need to get the hopes up of so many people who applied based on the original premise.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:05am
post #75 of 289

I don't see any promise or talent in the entire bunch

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:49am
post #76 of 289

I like the truck--they use their trucks to deliver in the show--the truck is cool!!

cownsj Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:58am
post #77 of 289

I feel like they could have used the truck and done it in a "cute" way, but they did it to demean, and that is just not acceptable to me. But that is just my opinion.

playingwithsugar Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 4:03am
post #78 of 289

Thanks for posting that info, cownsj.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cownsj Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 4:06am
post #79 of 289
Quote:

Thanks for posting that info, cownsj.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

yw. Sometimes it's a good thing when you don't clean out your old emails.... icon_lol.gif Can I use that as an ongoing excuse????

playingwithsugar Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 4:38am
post #80 of 289

And on to Season 1, Episode 2 - Monopoly Theme

Well, the cake that won certainly did.

If I were team leader, and someone would threaten me, the first thing I would do is call the police. Forget about telling the producers, she would have been taken out in handcuffs. I wish Johanna or Joe would have spoken up and made it known that Joe was actually threatened twice - the second time being that she threatened to go to Brooklyn after him.

Goodbye, Joe! I think Corina deliberately rattled your chains so you would be eliminated. She did a good job, too, didn't she? She needs to go back to her little Long Island bakery and be by herself, because she obviously has problems being around other people.

And Buddy, I know you're reading this, and I know the season is already taped and over, but stop the shouting and telling people they're a disgrace. Find a catch phrase like Padma (Top Chef) has, and use it instead.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Kaytecake Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 5:11am
post #81 of 289

Is this show the cake world version of "pro wrestling"?

What the heck is with some of the contestants? Do they think that they'll get a show of their own if they act like this? I don't get Buddy either- he was angry when Joe (is it?) didn't leave last week when he clearly had the worst cake but gets angry with him for leaving this week for not contributing enough work in the challenge and for being an ineffective leader. Joe didn't even blame the out of control teammate who threatened him.

I'll watch one more show but I doubt that I'll watch any more after that. This show is not very complimentary to those who love baking. I have a sense of humor but this doesn't cut it. (A little cake humor)

playingwithsugar Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 5:18am
post #82 of 289

Poor Johanna was crying during the critique. Cake is supposed to be a happy thing, not something that brings a person to tears.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 5:20am
post #83 of 289

The second episode was no better than the first. In fact it may have been worse. The cakes were atrocious, with the winner being just the lesser of 3 evils. Teams of 3 with 11 hours...Challenge usually has teams of 2 and 8 hours and BLOW these competitors away.

Let me preface what I'm about to say by pointing out that these people are on a nationally televised competition show involving big money...in my mind they have opened themselves up to being critiqued. Isn't one of the competitors the owner of a cake business with incredible cakes on the website? Isn't he worried that people are going to start wondering if he really made those cakes, or if they're really cake? After seeing how he has performed the past 2 weeks and the coming attractions for next week, I sure am.

There were some cute cupcakes, though. icon_rolleyes.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 6:26am
post #84 of 289

ok who has great cakes on a website? I am a nobody who has a hobby of cake decorating, and seriously think I could do better.....and I am pushing 60/lol not that I could not run rings around these kids....I am so disappointed in what they are showing.

fuchica2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fuchica2007 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 1:57pm
post #85 of 289

I have to agree about the second episode being worse than the first... not sure how much longer I will be watching this show. There is just too much drama, anger, and not enough about the actual baking and designing of cakes. And I can't believe Buddy screamed at Joe for something he told him to do last week (leave because he knew he did the worst), that was very hypocritical. So disappointed, but hey now my dvr will have a little more space icon_smile.gif lol

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 4:18pm
post #86 of 289

I got bored. Stopped the DVR and flipped it back to 27 Dresses - which I've watched TONS of time before.

One thing we have to remember is that all these cake shows are not geared ONLY for cake decorators. They are for the masses. The masses love drama.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 4:35pm
post #87 of 289

I like the show I can't wait for next week. That beautiful Christmas tree cake on the preview for next week --I can't wait to see it.

I mean they totally needed some shortening in that fondant this week. People who just learned how to use a sheeter apparently don't know that. Megan's cake really rocked. And yes it's 11 hours but times 3 so it's 33 hours total--

And Buddy is a just a bigger than life wus puppy. He can't even tell anyone to go home --he's gotta half intimidate 'em to leave on their own--it's funny. He pounds them over the head till they take off. But he lets the one who wants to go go.

I love the truck. I love the show. I would really like to do this--I'm closing in on 60 also (like Madgekins) but I could dig the stuffing's out of challenges like that. The down time would be the hard part huh. But I totally dig this show.

playingwithsugar Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 4:43pm
post #88 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

I like the show I can't wait for next week. That beautiful Christmas tree cake on the preview for next week --I can't wait to see it.

I also saw that in the previews, and am looking forward to seeing how it was done. I thought it was gorgeous.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

fuchica2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fuchica2007 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 4:49pm
post #89 of 289

They are just star shaped cakes staggered...

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 5:30pm
post #90 of 289

Hey - maybe they should do a show for those of us who are 50 and older! That could be fun-ny! Geriatric Cake Artists! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%