Wood Effect

Decorating By Jenmarlene Updated 17 Dec 2010 , 9:33pm by mom2three2010

Jenmarlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenmarlene Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 2:25am
post #1 of 11

I will be making an ice bucket with beer bottles on top in a few weeks but how do make I make it look like wood? Thanks in advance.

10 replies
zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 8:59am
post #2 of 11

I suggest using light brown fondant to start with. Use your knife to make 'score' marks in the wood. Then using the same brown paste you coloured the fondant with, paint the fondant. It won't settle in the cracks, just on top of the surface. I can't remember if I diluted the paste before painting or not, you may need to experiment.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 10:30am
post #3 of 11

I use the wood graining tool I bought in the paint section of home depot. I painted the fondant in brown and then used the tool on it and it came out exactly like real wood. (If you check my website and look at the wine barrel cake, you can see an example) HTH

Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 12:34pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

I use the wood graining tool I bought in the paint section of home depot. I painted the fondant in brown and then used the tool on it and it came out exactly like real wood. (If you check my website and look at the wine barrel cake, you can see an example) HTH

Love the woodgrain wine barrel but would also like to know how you made the pine cones on winter wonderland wedding cake...........they're awsome!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 11

On Fabulous Cakes this week they did the best wood grain I have seen. They did twist 3 colors of fondant and kneaded it to a nice marble, then added "planking". Used some black food coloring to go into the "graining". Then if I remember correctly, use some food grade, spray lacquer, and finally vegetable spray (Pam) to keep it shinny. (I think I remembered all the steps) It was amazing!

Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 12:42pm
post #7 of 11

I also found this video on youtube...

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 11

i made wood grane on my hammer/2x4 cake.

i marbled light brown with a darker brown (just dont fully encorporate both colors--it'll look like marble). then after i put it on the cake i scraped it with the veiner tool (u could probalby use a toothpick though). I wanted the wood to look different on the hammer i did, so...i did the same thing (marbled fondant), scraped it -- but then i lightly painted it with two different types of brown gel color. which will also give it a nice sheen too. HTH.

Jenmarlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenmarlene Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 3:53am
post #9 of 11

Thanks guys!!!

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 3:56am
post #10 of 11

I made a "wood floor" for my toy story cake a few weeks ago. I made the fondant light brown, then marbled it with some chocolate brown. When I rolled it out, I used my ribbon cutter and made the floor boards. I'm pretty sure I put the picture up with the cake. Everyone thought I'd put the cake on real wood.

mom2three2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2three2010 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 9:33pm
post #11 of 11

i just made a cigar box cake and i covered it with white fondant then mixed brown gel color with a little red and some vodka to thin it out and painted it on It looked AMAZING!! looked like a nice light cherry wood!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%