Which Mixer For Royal Icing?

Decorating By Londonchic Updated 8 Dec 2010 , 5:28am by DSmo

Londonchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Londonchic Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 14

I'm thinking about geting myself a mixer for Christmas, especially for mixing royal icing. Which would you recommend?

13 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 14

Anything with a wisk - RI doesn't need much horsepower a regular handheld mixer works fine.

If you're investing in your first stand mixer, go with a Kitchen Aid.

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 14

If you make a lot of royal icing, I suggest you consider a Cuisinart. They have a countdown timer which makes the long mixing time a snap. Just set the timer for 10 minutes and then you can forget about it--well, not completely, but you know what I mean. You can do the dishes, sweep the floor, water the plants, whatever. Your mind can wander. When the 10 minutes are up, the mixer will stop by itself. Also, the Cuisinart is just a great machine. Lots of capacity (I have the 7 qt), lots of power. I'd never go back to a Kitchen Aid now that I have this mixer.

Venziballs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Venziballs Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 2:41am
post #4 of 14

definitely a kitchen aid. I use mine for everything...buttercream or any frosting really. A little pricey but its a workhorse and pays for itself after a few uses. icon_smile.gif

latenight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
latenight Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:39am
post #5 of 14

I'm Team Cuisinart! I only have a 5.5qt one...so tragic. But the timer rocks and it is pow-R-full! Whatever you get I know you'll use it for so much more than what you think you will... I use mine everyday for something.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:09am
post #6 of 14

I'm Team Cuisinart too. I have a Kitchen Aid also, but I do find myself using the cuisinart more.....especially for RI to do extension work, it beats the hell out of that RI so it's nice a smooth and flows wonderfully icon_biggrin.gif

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 14

Latenight, the "Team Cuisinart" designation cracks me up! icon_lol.gif

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 14

Really I think you'll be okay with either a KA or Cuisinart mixer.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 6:25pm
post #9 of 14

I've used both KA hand and stand mixers for royal icing with out any problems. I prefer the stand since you don't have to stand there and hold the mixer for 7-10 mins, but the hand mixer will work.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 14

Team Cuisinart. 7qt & 5.5qt.

But for royal icing, you can use anything.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 7:01pm
post #11 of 14

I love my 600 Pro KA mixer, but - to be honest- I tend to use my KA hand mixer to make Royal Icing. I prefer to make in a smaller, deeper bowl to keep the air exposure down.

But if you're buying an investment-type stand mixer... KA all the way!!

Londonchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Londonchic Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 8:05pm
post #12 of 14

I just got a Cuisinart on amazon for 50% off. It's on it's way here!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
Merry Christmas ME!!

I had major surgery(hysterectomy) on 22 nov, so this purchase is definitely lifting my spirits!!! icon_biggrin.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 8:13pm
post #13 of 14

Congratulations on the purchase, Londonchic! I can't believe you've got it for 50% off.

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 5:28am
post #14 of 14

I recently got the Cuisinart 5.5 qt and love it. But I still prefer my old Sunbeam Mixmaster with the small bowl and whisk beaters for royal icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%