White Chocolate Ganache Question

Decorating By caymancake Updated 7 Dec 2010 , 4:58am by HowCoolGomo1

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 8

I am making my own birthday cake again this year, and wanted to try doing something different. Does anyone know if I can colour white chocolate ganache?

I was thinking of using wilton gel colouring, and doing a double coat of ganache on the cake, and then placing fondant accents on it after the ganache set.

Any input/advice or tried & true ganache recipes are very very welcome!

7 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 8

I would use the Candy Colors not the gel colors. There is water in the gels and that can cause ganache to seize. Also be sure and use white chocolate not white chocolate chips. The chips are not chocolate... They are made with palm oil and caused me a ton of headaches the first time I made white choc. ganache. Have a happy birthday

caymancake Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 2:21am
post #3 of 8

Silly Wabbitz - thank you so much for your response! Unfortunately I can't find candy melts or candy colours in Cayman...maybe I will just use the ganache under fondant. I've been wanting to try that one for a while too!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 2:41am
post #4 of 8

Ditto the candy colors. You can also get cocoa butter colors and other brands of candy colors that have more color choices.

caymancake Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:49am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

Ditto the candy colors. You can also get cocoa butter colors and other brands of candy colors that have more color choices.

Thanks for this advice Annabakescakes - but unfortunately none of those "specialty" items are readily available in Cayman...I think what I may end up doing is putting the ganache under MMF.

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:07am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by caymancake

unfortunately none of those "specialty" items are readily available in Cayman.

Small price to pay to live in such a beautiful location. I'm in snowy Wisconsin right now, and I would much rather have no candy colors and warm sandy beaches. icon_wink.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:31am
post #7 of 8

Wow! Is shipping too much for you to order them? Heck, I'd ship them too you! Everything is frozen in KY right now, I'm sure they'd be just fine, as long as you didn't leave them on your stoop all day once they got there! If they were sent COD or something, they would need a signature and then you could be sure they didn't sit there all day.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:58am
post #8 of 8

I love powdered food colors.

I make sure they are almost silky.

I use a grindy thing, Don't use the coffee grinder, unless you hate it and never want to use it ever again. Trust me!

I wish I could remember the name of the thing.

The gels won't mess up the ganache in a big way unless you make them deep colors!

Remembered it's a mortar and pestle!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%