Opening Cake Decorating Teaching Business??

Business By kelso830 Updated 7 Dec 2010 , 4:20pm by kelso830

kelso830 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 4

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about opening up my own cake decorating teaching business where I can show others the art of what we do. I was wondering if anyone out there has done this? And I am curious about what types of licenses would be required to do this? I know I would need a business license for sure, but would I require a certified kitchen or anything if the people were to bring their own already baked cakes and I did the teaching at their home? They would pretty much be baking it on their own and eating it themselves, so it wouldn't be like I was selling my own baked cakes to the public. Any advice on requirements and lisences would be wonderful! Thank you so much!

3 replies
kelso830 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 4

I also live in British Columbia, Canada. Should have mentioned that! haha!

leily Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 4

i suggest calling your local health department. In the US regulations vary state to state, county to county, city to city, and sometimes if you're in a subdivision too. I imagine it's the same for Canada too. If you aren't providing any food i can't imagine there would be any inspections b/c you're providing a service. However if you start to provide food, you may fall under some regulations to be inspected and licensed.

kelso830 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%