Frustrated With Silicone Lace Molds

Decorating By cakedoff Updated 30 Aug 2013 , 11:26pm by MBalaska

cakedoff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoff Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 20

I've been doing cakes for several years now, and for some reason haven't had much call for lace. Recently, Decorate the Cake had a Black Friday sale on their lace molds and I bit the bullet and bought 5 of them. I have had minimal success using them. What am I doing wrong? I read somewhere that the fondant is rolled out, pressed into the bottom mold, the top piece is applied and then gently but firmly rolled from the center out. I've gotten sloppy results with all five of the molds. No matter how carefully I press the fondant into the bottom and roll, the molds shift and the impression either ends up with holes, remains too thick or slides and destroys the pattern. Very frustrated and irritated at the cost of these things (even on sale)
HELP! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

19 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 20

Are they double sided molds?
Edna

cakedoff Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 20

Hi, Edna! Yes they are.

tonedna Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 20

Roll the gumpaste in a flat surface, just like if you where going to do any cutout.
Then place the gumpaste on the mold and press it with your hands. Take the top part
of the lace and place it on to of the gumpaste and use a rolling pin to help you press.
If the gumpaste is good quality it shpuld break pretty easy, so pull the excess pieces of
gumapste with the top part still holding the gumpaste.
The take the top press how and push the excess gumpaste to the inside of the mold to
clean the edges.

Edna icon_smile.gif

cakedoff Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 20

What you have described is what I have done. I'm using Satin Ice. The molds are VERY soft...could that be why this is happening?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 20

Try mixing gumpaste or tylose with the Satin Ice, to stiffen it up a little.

cakedoff Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 20

The fondant seems stiff enough...I'm still thinking the silicone is too soft.

tonedna Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 20

I havent tried them. I have used the CK ones. I Might have to buy one to see how they are. CK ones are more stiff. But its a matter of figuring them out.
Edna icon_smile.gif

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 20

I have used their molds. Tylose is a must ,I roll out the fondant/tylose to a little thicker ,place in mold and and place top and press. you might try flipping and press the mold from the top. Have you just tried to use the mold without the top pressed in? And cut away with an exacto knife.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 20

I always want to buy lace molds, but I'm afraid of the same thing...not know how to use them!! icon_redface.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 10:16pm
post #11 of 20

If you're trying to do this with First Impression molds; I feel your pain.

I've never figured out how to get the excess out!

That's why I own every file known to mankind. Home Depot and Sally's are big friends of mine.

cakedoff Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 12:42am
post #12 of 20

These are Decorate the Cake molds, MaryAnn. I've not had any trouble with my First Impression molds, though I don't have any lace ones. The edges of all the tops of these two piece molds are so chopped up and gouged that the fondant doesn't pull away evenly on any of them. I've tried adding tylose (which makes the fondant tougher and drier) and am using a quality fondant. The molds themselves are actually so soft that the prepared fondant has more body than the mold itself.

tonedna Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 6:12am
post #13 of 20

For the first impression mold I pull the excess to the center and cut it with scissors. Sometimes I use a palette knife, depending on the mold.
Edna icon_smile.gif

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 6:35am
post #14 of 20

I cut a straight edge in my rolled fondant before placing it in the mold. Then I line up the straight cut edge with the straight edge of the top of the mold. Then place the top piece of the mold on the fondant and gently work the two pieces of the mold together with a small rolling pin. If the bottom lace edge doesn't separate completely, it generally witll with a little 'nudging' with an exacto knife. I had to mess around with the molds a few times before I got my process worked out. Now I really like and use them a lot. Good luck to you!

MelissaRHK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaRHK Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 6:18pm
post #15 of 20

Again, sorry you are having issues -- Please see the 2 email I sent you last night that contain links to detailed instructions and how-tos on 2 sided lace molds -- then if you are still haveing issues, let me know

Melissa
Decorate the Cake

cakedoff Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 9:11am
post #16 of 20

Yes, Melissa, I saw the links and replied to you.

MelissaRHK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaRHK Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 5:40pm
post #17 of 20

I sent you a couple pictures this morning by email -- I'm also going to post on the store's facebook page to see what other hits and tricks others might have.

cakedoff Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 10:50pm
post #18 of 20

Thanks for asking others of "hints & tricks". I saw the two pictures of the piece you sent me. I saw the opinions of Missy or Mindy (two names listed). I will just play with them as time permits and see if they will be useful in the future.

Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 10:18pm
post #19 of 20

Satin Ice is fondant, I believe.  Try Gumpaste. I haven't used these particular lace molds, but have had luck with others suing Gumpaste.  Good Luck! 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 11:26pm
post #20 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonedna 
Roll the gumpaste in a flat surface, just like if you where going to do any cutout.
Then place the gumpaste on the mold and press it with your hands. Take the top part
of the lace and place it on to of the gumpaste and use a rolling pin to help you press.
If the gumpaste is good quality it shpuld break pretty easy, so pull the excess pieces of
gumapste with the top part still holding the gumpaste.
The take the top press how and push the excess gumpaste to the inside of the mold to
clean the edges.

tonedna:  You definitely know what your doing with Gumpaste!  Your cakes are incredible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonedna 
For the first impression mold I pull the excess to the center and cut it with scissors. Sometimes I use a palette knife, depending on the mold.

tonedna: good advice, I have been using the palette knife for years on small molds, but will try the scissors next time!!

Silicone lace molds make great designs for cakes & cookies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%