Bauble Cake Help Please!!!!

Decorating By CakelynsFinest Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 4:34pm by CakelynsFinest

CakelynsFinest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakelynsFinest Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 17

I need to make Christmas bauble cakes for Thursday. I baked them last night in the Wilton mini ball pan and it was difficult to remove! I greased and floured it. The directions say to let it rest for 5 minutes in the pan and then remove it but it was so hard to remove it after just 5 minutes. Is there something I am doing wrong??? I managed to remove some without ruining it. I put them in the freezer. I am icing it tonight and then covering it with fondant. Do you recommend icing it with ganache or butter cream? Thank you so much in advance!

16 replies
CakelynsFinest Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 17

No takers yet??? Any advice will be helpful and much apperciated!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 17

I'm not sure what a Bauble Cake is, but I have switched to ganache instead of buttercream - then fondant. Not sure if that helps or not? Good Luck!

CakelynsFinest Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 17

Thanks. Here is a link of bauble cakes. They are sphere shaped cakes that look like Christmas ornaments.
http://www.gorgeous-cakes.co.uk/images/pinkbaublesdetail.jpg

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 17

Those are beautiful!!! I may have to try them! Please post a picture when you finish them!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 17
CakelynsFinest Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 17

I wish mine will come out as beautiful as those! This is going to be my first try, but I will post pictures. Wish me luck!

imagenthatnj Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 8:32pm
post #8 of 17

Good luck! You still have time to practice some more I hope. I would say covering with ganache will give you a smoother surface to apply the fondant later.

The only other idea that comes to mind is covering them with poured fondant, but it might be a little tricky since they're balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHjOfj4URPk&NR=1
(2:22 on the movie)

http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-cover-cupcakes-with-poured-fondant

imagenthatnj Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 17

Wrong video. It was this one at 2:22

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 8:42pm
post #10 of 17

I've been using buttercream and it seems to work out fine. Just make sure they are really cold, like frozen when working with them.

CakelynsFinest Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 8:53pm
post #11 of 17

Thank you so much for the advice!
ImaginethatNJ- the thread is great! I haven't had a chance to watch the video. I'm still at work! I just can't stop thinking about these cakes! Haha Will definitely watch tonight!

CakelynsFinest Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:27pm
post #12 of 17

Ok, so here is a picture of the bauble cakes! They were a lot of fun to decorate! Thanks everyone for the advice!

CakelynsFinest Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:30pm
post #13 of 17

Oh no! I don't know why it does not show the picture. I will add it to my pics in my profile!

imagenthatnj Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:03pm
post #14 of 17

Very nice! What did you end up using to cover and decorate them?

CakelynsFinest Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:13pm
post #15 of 17

Oh, thank you! I put buttercream to stick the 2 halves together and then used Tobas cake spackle recipe to fix any imperfections. Ive never used it and it was THE BEST. I would not have gotten the perfect sphere shape without it. I ended up using buttercream and covering in marshmallow fondant.

imagenthatnj Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:16pm
post #16 of 17

Great! I have Toba's book and I think the spackle is a great idea, but I know sometimes people don't like to use it.

I just got the Alan Silverwood sphere pan, still have to try it and see if it works as a perfect sphere, but that would be probably too big for an ornament.

Thanks for sharing how you did it. They look fantastic!

CakelynsFinest Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:34pm
post #17 of 17

I wouldnt have been able to get it like that without the thread that you recommended so thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%