I Know "there Are No Dumb Questions" But...

Decorating By CrescentMoon Updated 6 Dec 2010 , 6:10pm by CrescentMoon

CrescentMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrescentMoon Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 17

I feel realy stupid for not knowing this. I am looking at the Wilton serving guide and it shows that a 6" (or any size for that matter) is 2 layers. Is that 2 layers meaning one pan is used and the cake is cut in two creating two layers, or does it mean 2 pans are used and each whole cake is concsdered a layer? Since the heigt of the serving is 2" and my pans are two inches, I'm guessing they mean just one cake layer....correct?

16 replies
bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 17

Technically each layer is supposed to be 2" thick. Im not really technical but to answer your question yes. I usually buy 2 pans fill and bake them then stack them. I also bought a 3" thick cake pan. this pan lets me bake one thick cake that i can cut and fill instead of doing 2 pans. hth.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 17

Standard serving sizes are 4" tall (excluding sheet cakes). Some people use 2, 2" layers per tier, some use 4, 1" layers per tier. I love frosting, so I use 4, 1" layers to get in all the frosting I can! icon_wink.gif

CrescentMoon Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 17

so if I use 2 - 2" high pans, tort each cake to make 4 layers, then refering to my serving size chart (using a 6" pan again just for refrence) then that cake would yield 12 servings, not 24....? I want to make sure I am not giving cake away for free.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 17

Yes. A 6" round cake, that is 4" high, serves 12. icon_wink.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 17

Do you have a link where I can look what you are looking at too?
I went to Wilton, but I don't see any thing for a 6" cake.

CrescentMoon Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 17

LindaF144 - http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm ...if you look at the column that says "Number of servings" it states 2 layers. That is where I was getting confused because according to the Wilton site a serving is 2" high not 4".

Thanks greengyrl26....much appreciated. I feel better knowing I was calculating correctly all along!

LindaF144a Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoon

LindaF144 - http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm ...if you look at the column that says "Number of servings" it states 2 layers. That is where I was getting confused because according to the Wilton site a serving is 2" high not 4".

Thanks greengyrl26....much appreciated. I feel better knowing I was calculating correctly all along!

Now I am even more confused too. I went to this site:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/cake-cutting-guides/wedding-cake-cutting-guide.cfm

They don't even show how to cut a 6" cake, but they do say a serving is two layers - 4" high. At the cakery where I work we tell people a 6" will serve 12/15 people. But when they ask me how, I'm stumped. So I tell them to cut it straight across rather than pie shaped. To me a 6" will serve 8 tops pie shaped. And even then it is small. This is not for wedding servings though which are different than the average party cake our customers buy. Most of the time they move up to an 8", just so they can get more cake. thumbs_up.gif

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 4:18pm
post #9 of 17
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 4:25pm
post #10 of 17

for how to cut cake, look up indydebis blog - way better than wiltons cutting method.

it doesnt matter how many cakes or layers are in your cake. as long as its at least 3 inches high, then the numbers from wiltons chart are applicable. the wedding serving is 1x2x4.
xx

c-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
c-cakes Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 4:25pm
post #11 of 17

I personally prefer more cake than filling (especially buttercream), so I always make my cakes 2-2" layers with 1 layer of filling. I guess it comes down to a preference thing.

CrescentMoon Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 4:46pm
post #12 of 17

One last question, I promise. I noticed the cutting/serving guide on cc lists the "wedding" servings and not the "party" servings. Do any of you quote "party" serving prices seperate from "wedding" serving prices, or do you all base your pricing off the "wedding" servings regardless of the type of event?

LindaF144a Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 5:00pm
post #13 of 17

We don't officially at the cakery I work at. But like I said, we list 12/15 but I honestly do not believe it would feed that many, unless you want about 2 bits each. So I tell people to think about how they are going to cut it and go from there. That is why most people will go up to an 8".

But then again the people that do stick with a 6" usually say it is just for the family of about 4-6, which I believe 6-8 to be a better estimate. And even then they are small IMO. the guy I made the wedding cake for in my photos said he and his wife ate the top 6" tier all by themselves. I don't know if that was one serving each or more though.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 5:53pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoon

I noticed the cutting/serving guide on cc lists the "wedding" servings and not the "party" servings. Do any of you quote "party" serving prices seperate from "wedding" serving prices, or do you all base your pricing off the "wedding" servings regardless of the type of event?

It's best not to have to explain two separate pricing policies based on what type of event they're calling it. If the standard serving size is 1x2x4 (which is plenty of cake for either event), you'd be giving away extra cake for free if you're using another chart for party size servings. I'd recommend sticking with the industry standard chart for all cakes.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 5:58pm
post #15 of 17

The Wilton website actually says (not very clearly tough) that a slice is 1 X 2, but the next sentence references height. Because a slice of cake is not flat, you have to account for all THREE dimensions. 1" wide, by 2" long, by 4" in height.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 6:05pm
post #16 of 17

If you really want to check the Wilton servings, trace the bottom of your 6 inch pan, making a 6 inch diameter circle. I just did this. Then using Indydebis square serving cutting method, draw 2 horizontal lines 2 inches apart. You will have 3 two inch sections. Then draw vertical lines one inch apart. This will give you 1 by 2 inch sections. I just did this and ended up with 11 sections with 4 good sized corners and 2 more long sections left over. The extras more than make up for the 4 pieces with a little missing cause of the curve and the 12th piece. I also did this last year with my 9 inch pan and it also matched up with the wilton wedding sizes. So it most certainly is possible to get 12 1 inch by 2 inch servings from a 6 inch cake. If people want larger servings it is on them to upsize.

CrescentMoon Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 6:10pm
post #17 of 17

Thanks everyone for all your help, I will eliminate the "party" serving sizes I have and just stick with the suggested serving amounts listed for the "wedding"....Yeah, more money for me! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%