I Hope My Condition Isn't Fatal. :(

Decorating By Cakepro Updated 22 Jan 2007 , 5:44pm by bethola

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 22

Today I had to airbrush a 10" square fondant-covered cake that was decorated as a baseball diamond. I set paper strips under the edges of my cake, as usual, to catch the overspray and set up a cookie sheet behind the cake, also to catch the overspray. Did the cake, cleaned the airbrush. Finished cake, delivered cake. At the party (my nephew's BD party), my sister mentioned that I had a little green smudged on my nose. I had spilled a couple of drops, which got on my hands, so it didn't really surprise me that I had rubbed my nose and transferred some color.

Got home, looked at my nose, and thought, WHOA, that's weird. Blew my nose and swabbed both nasal passages over and over, and guess what? I breathed in so much green airbrush color it looks like the inside of my nose is decorated for St. Patrick's Day!

Dear God, what do my poor lungs look like??? icon_confused.gif

21 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 22

Irish antidote:

pint of: Guinness/ale/etc.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 22

that is funny.. guess you will have to start wearing a surgical mask from now on icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 22

Well, I guess that would depend on your personal color preferences.

If you like green, they'd look good icon_smile.gif

So all kidding aside, are you going to start wearing a mask from now on when you airbrush.

If JaneK's wheezy condition from powdered sugar dust is Baker's Lung; can we call Cakepro's condition from overspray Decorator's Lung !!!

Including Jane's thread so you can get ideas on future prevention:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-55720-.html

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 22

oh yeah, puleze...I use my airbrush every day..!! and everytime I sneeze it's in technicolor! lol

I try to hold my breath when I airbursh now...I don't even realize that I'm doing that..lol

Take care!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 22

First time I airbrushed I used blue. I'm just thankful it wasn't red because when I blue my nose it took me a minute to figure it out.

That color goes everywhere!! I've heard of people finding it on their filters in the air conditioner.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 22

Yeah, when I worked at wallymart that's what I had all the time was technicolor snot (I know, I know, tmi) but that's just part of the job I reckon, the overspray. See if you can adjust the pressure to reduce some of the overspray. It's just part of what happens when you use the airbrush.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 3:51am
post #8 of 22

LOL! I figured I was just had my face waaaay too close to the airbrush today, although I was positioned as I normally am. Glad to hear we all have rainbow sneezes. icon_lol.gif

What was really surprising to me was that when I cleaned off my work area (removed tools and other stuff that was on the counter while I was airbrushing the cake), I saw no green at all anywhere...until I sprayed cleaner on the counter, which made all the super-teeny (and invisible to me) particles of color bloom, showing perfect outlines of where my scissors and other tools had been.

I have never had such a fine mist fall over everything before like it did today. CORRECTION: today I airbrushed on a white worksurface, whereas in the past I had always done it on my dark maple dining room table. OY.

icon_smile.gif Thanks for the reassurances,
Sherri

JMama3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JMama3 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 4:01am
post #9 of 22

I have not had the pleasure of airbrushing...can't wait now!!!

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 4:10am
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Quote:

JaneK's wheezy condition from powdered sugar dust is Baker's Lung

I would wear a mask covering your nose/mouth...just to be on the safe side...now that I wear one when I bake, I don't cough or wheeze anymore when I use powdered sugar....but I look a sight!! icon_lol.gif

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 4:11am
post #11 of 22

woohoo! I've never used an airbrush yet, but I have used those aerosol cans of spray color. I had blue nose...that stuff goes everywhere!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 4:28am
post #12 of 22

My husband insist that using the air brush (we haven't used ours yet) will get color all over the kitchen. Is that true?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 4:39am
post #13 of 22

I'm thinking I might set up an area in my sewing room in the basement if it makes that big of a mess. Thanks for all the information.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 5:26am
post #14 of 22

when I used the airbrush in school we had acess to large sheets of parchment paper, which I would lay out over the table to keep the overspray in check!

HTH

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 11:01am
post #15 of 22

i have smurf boogers sometimes...AM I GONNA DIE????

ha ha ha....

one day i was sooooo busy i didn't have a chance all day to "check myself"...

at the end of the day (i had airbrushed so much green)....i had faint lil green rings around my nostrils....ugh!...and here i'm waiting on customers all day too.....

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 11:02am
post #16 of 22

oh yeah about the overspray....some people build a box to airbrush in....theres one on earlenes site i think...

Kellycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellycreations Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 11:25am
post #17 of 22

The first time I used my airbrush it freaked me out when I blew my nose. To top it off I kept getting small nose bleeds for the next 3 days. So now I always wear a mask, I think it a must.

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 7:31pm
post #18 of 22

WOW!!! That's hillarious!!! icon_lol.gif

I get cocoa in my nose every time that I use it.....I don't really get it, but I have chocolate snot for a day or so. LOL

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 3:32pm
post #19 of 22

I used yellow and must of been a little too close. If you wear glasses you end up with spray on your glasses and when you take them off--you get the picture. Luckily it comes off--eventually! icon_biggrin.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 5:31pm
post #20 of 22

If I am really close when I am spraying stuff (I use the stuff in a can since I can't justify the cost of an airbrush) I notice that I get it up my nose. But if I can keep my head as far away as possible I'm ok. But I definetely need to get a cheap box of disposable medical masks or painter's masks.

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 5:42pm
post #21 of 22

Many years ago people didn't wear masks around asbestos either and look what happened. The same is true about toluene's...inhaling them repeatedly can cause leukemia and aplastic anemia. Heck...we used to run behind the mosquito spraying truck and play in the chemical fog. Maybe that's what wrong with me?? Ha..

As a nurse, I wouldn't take this too lightly. If it's in your nose...it's in your lungs. Be safe, not sorry and wear a mask.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 5:44pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

LOL! I figured I was just had my face waaaay too close to the airbrush today, although I was positioned as I normally am. Glad to hear we all have rainbow sneezes. icon_lol.gif

What was really surprising to me was that when I cleaned off my work area (removed tools and other stuff that was on the counter while I was airbrushing the cake), I saw no green at all anywhere...until I sprayed cleaner on the counter, which made all the super-teeny (and invisible to me) particles of color bloom, showing perfect outlines of where my scissors and other tools had been.

I have never had such a fine mist fall over everything before like it did today. CORRECTION: today I airbrushed on a white worksurface, whereas in the past I had always done it on my dark maple dining room table. OY.

icon_smile.gif Thanks for the reassurances,
Sherri

OH YEAH! I decorate in my church's kitchen. I use aerosol cans when I need an "airbrushed" look. It is EVERYWHERE! On the counter, floor, MY glasses....and only God knows where else! In fact, we had the health inspector in the fall and I had been making cakes, AGAIN! LOLL I "super cleaned" the counter and guess what? There was Powdered Sugar Dust on the commercial can opener! LOLL Luckily, he is a really nice guy and said he wasn't going to count a little dust against us. We ALWAY make a 100% and we cater most all the Health Dept. functions!

I think I'm going to start wearing those disposable paint coveralls, goggles and a mask!

Beth in KY

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%