Buttercream

Baking By kjsweettreats Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 4:28am by JanH

kjsweettreats Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 9:37am
post #1 of 7

i use 1/2 cup shortening,1/2 cup butter softened,1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 4 cups confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons milk but it will not crust!! what can i do icon_cry.gif

6 replies
indydebi Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 10:47am
post #2 of 7

crusting is the ratio of fat to sugar. More fat ... less crusting. More sugar ... more crusting.

My recipe, which crusts very well, uses 1-1/3 cups of fat per 2lbs p.sugar (about 7 cups). you're using half the sugar (also known as twice the fat). twice the fat = no crusting

Dump some more sugar in that bowl and it will crust fine. Here's my recipe:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

DSmo Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 12:11pm
post #3 of 7

That is the same recipe I use and it crusts really well. Are you sure you're measuring your ingredients correctly?

kjsweettreats Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:01am
post #4 of 7

indydebi- thanks for the recipe and tips
dsmo- checked checked and double checked!! i even tried putting it in the fridge and after 45 minutes a little crust but not enough to smooth. when i put the viva towel on it it just cracks and smooshes!

JanH Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:44am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsweettreats

when i put the viva towel on it it just cracks and smooshes!

If your frosting "cracks" when you try to smooth it, that's a sign that it's crusted too long.

Have you used other crusting recipes with success?

HTH

Pheebs24 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 6:57am
post #6 of 7

Hi Ms. Indybebi,

I'm from the Philippines (Tropical country). I'm seeking your advise as to what type of icing is good for humid country like mine at the same time taste good and creamy.

Thank you in advance. icon_redface.gif

JanH Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:28am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheebs24

Hi Ms. Indybebi,

I'm from the Philippines (Tropical country). I'm seeking your advise as to what type of icing is good for humid country like mine at the same time taste good and creamy.

Thank you in advance. icon_redface.gif

Indydebi's recipe link can be found in her above post. icon_smile.gif
(And it has 305 reviews!)

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%