So This Is How It Starts

Decorating By chasenboomsmom Updated 7 Dec 2010 , 5:33pm by chasenboomsmom

chasenboomsmom Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 4:22am
post #1 of 15

so i made a unique cake for my 4 yr old years ago...and theni got addicted...i now make cakes for all 4 my kids and i am starting to get requests... i have no idea what tocharge,,,and the worst part s\\is that i have no skills...no recipes...no tools..i am like uhe sanford n son of cake baking...but somehow i always i pull it off...i wish i could gain more knowledge and i think that is why i found this site

so having that in mind...please give me the top tools u couldnt live without:
and the top recipes:

my time is limited having 3 kids and a disabled baby but this is my time...to myself...i love to create

14 replies
UpAt2am Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 4:34am
post #2 of 15

welcome to cc! i think it's great that you've found something that you love to do! the first thing you have to do to "start" is see if you're even allowed to bake and sell from your home. only 11 states in america allow it and i'm not sure if PA is one of them. you can call your dept. of agriculture or look online for answers. if it is allowed, they can tell you the next steps (inspections, licenses, taxes, insurance, etc.). there's A LOT that goes into running a bakery from your house. if you aren't allowed to bake from home, you'll need to find a commercial kitchen to rent. and then all the things that go along with that.

bottom line is this, you can't sell a cake/accept money for ingredients/accept gift cards/etc. unless you are operating out of a legal kitchen (whether it's your own or a commercial one)...so that's where you start!

good luck!!!

littlecake Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 4:42am
post #3 of 15

i think they can bake at home in PAm after they get an inspection.

myslady Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 5:55am
post #4 of 15

Search around the site and you may find what you are looking for. There is a recipe section and as far as tools, it varies from person to person. In the general sense, the two tools cakers can't live with are cake pans and a mixer.

leily Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by myslady

Search around the site and you may find what you are looking for. There is a recipe section and as far as tools, it varies from person to person. In the general sense, the two tools cakers can't live with are cake pans and a mixer.

and i'd like to add a turn table to this. I use it for every cake, whether i'm making a buttercream cake or fondant covered.

CrescentMoon Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 15

PA does allow for in an in home bakery. However if you have any pets you can forget about passing inspection, unless you have a seperate area that you do all your baking/decorating in. You will also need to check with your township to see if they will alow your home to be re-zoned to allow for the bakery. Most townships do not have a problem with this, as long as you are not going to cause any major trafic increases in the area.

I highly suggest taking the Wilton courses...they are very informative and will help you develop some technique. Most of the time Michael's runs a 40% off the tuition, so that + supplies will run you about $50 - $100 per course (I never left the store after a class without some new gadget)

tastyart Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 4:04pm
post #7 of 15

I totally agree with the mixer and turntable being great tools. As far as the pans go, I'm a carver so can get away with few pans. For 3-D cakes I just stack and carve the shape I want. Hope that helps.

GI Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 15

Totally agree on the licensing issue. check it out first.

Top tools:
My KA's (and now my new Vitamix, too icon_biggrin.gif)
Agbay leveler
Magic Lines brand pans, rounds & squares
Digital oven thermometer (runs about $15-20 bucks)
Reversible turntable, holds Rounds and Squares
Folding table (never can get enough counter/table space! icon_lol.gif )

There ya go! icon_wink.gif

Tclanton Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 4:08pm
post #9 of 15

Kitchen Aid Mixer
Turn Table

Time - Love - and Patience!!!

Narie Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 4:41pm
post #10 of 15

The expensive stuff- Basic pans (Magic Line), high-end stand mixer, turn table.

Inexpensive (individually)- couplers, tips, nails, off set spatula, oven thermometer, smoothers, food coloring, dusts, cake cardboards, parchment paper by the truck load.

Recipes- box- Betty Crocker
box+ - The Cake Doctor
scratch - Hershey's Black Magic Cake/
Perfectly Chocolate Cake

chasenboomsmom Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 7:20pm
post #11 of 15

thanks for your help everyone!!!

adventuregal Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:09am
post #12 of 15

Tools:
tips (multiples of the ones you'll use alot)
different sized decorating bags (I use the plastic)
silicone spatulas and off set metal spatulas
magic line pans square, round, rectangular
turn table
cardboard rounds
a pantry full of ingredients (never enough powdered sugar!)
heating core

As far as recipes go...this is some thing very personal that you will have to figure out for yourself...what works best for you and what suits your tastes icon_smile.gif It took me years to find my "perfect" no-fail recipes. I tried alot of others no-fail recipes and...they failed for me LOL So it's just a personal thing...Good Luck and keep posting thumbs_up.gif

littlecake Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:54am
post #13 of 15

you can get stuff wholesale from decopac and bakerycrafts after you get a tax number.

add airbrush to the list of stuff ya need.

Karen421 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:59am
post #14 of 15

Not a have to have - but definitely put on the list is an extruder. icon_biggrin.gif

chasenboomsmom Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:33pm
post #15 of 15

ok guys thanks again...because i have such a busy sched with my children i dont think caking is going to be an income for me...but it is definately a great wonderful hobby..i will do the occassional cake here and there for friends and friends of friends but right now with limited skill and tools ... i am going to stick to how i like to do cakes, which is for the fun of it!!! i never want to try the same cake twice and i always want to have the best ideas for my children!! i will buy as i need and pick up the skill along the way probably mostly thru trial and error...and a lil luck...i am also thinking of taking a couple of those wilton classes thru our local craft store..they are very inexpensive and i think i could learn alot from them...i absolutely love this site btw...i have learned so much just by searching thru here and seeing everyone's beautiful creations...cannot wait for my next cake,,,its this week actually..i am making a deal of cards for accent pieces..for a girl that always ays she is kinda a big deal...do you guys think i should use gumpaste for thincards or fondant? and would they keep for a couple days after being made without cracking..like to detail them before hand ...thanks again everyone!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%