Condensation Affecting Display Cakes

Decorating By jdconcc Updated 7 Dec 2010 , 5:26pm by jdconcc

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 6

Hiya

I'm in the process of opening my design studio and am lucky enough to have window space to show my display cakes off in the florist's shop downstairs. However, after putting a couple of cakes in last week the heavy condensation caused by the artic conditions here made the bows and flowers droop icon_sad.gif Is there a way of avoiding this? varnish of some sort? Any help most appreciated xx

5 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 6

Did you mix any gumpaste in with the fondant? I don't work a lot in fondant people won't pay for it here. I'm watching this for some answers also.

jdconcc Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 6

Yes I mixed tylo in with the fondant so it was like petal paste.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 6

I think if it is a display cake only then why can't you make the flowers and such out of polymer clay? It sounds like it is going to get bombarded with all sorts of different weather conditions anyway and this way you won't be remaking all the time.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 6

I've thought & thought & thought about this. I think you just need to cheat on your decor and use wired real ribbon and etc. due to the weather condition in your display window. I would also consider making posters of your real work.

I mean you could put a de-humidifier in there somewhere but that's getting on the complicated side to me.

Consider using perma-ice I think it's called to cover your dummies so they don't succumb to the weather.

I think I'd get really crazy and make a display window on purpose rather than make a cake dummy. By that I mean y'know how professioanl food photographers have people who arrange food for the photos that probably isn't even real food but they just do that and make up something for the photo shoot so it holds it's shape and retains good properties for the sake of being photographed. Food stylists I think they're called. I'd google all that --the Japanese are gifted at stuff like this. I"d learn a new way to do it.

jdconcc Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 6

thanks I really appreciate you all racking your brains on this one. will look into my options, there must be a way around it.... will post pictures soon too.

Thanksxxx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%