Crumbled Cake??

Decorating By n_edge Updated 6 Dec 2010 , 6:02am by CWR41

n_edge Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 5

So i made a checkered cake yesterday for a box. A checkered cake is when you cut the cake in circles and layer them so when you cut the cake it looks like a checker board. Anyways, I chose you make it out of boxed cake mixes. The cake was really crumbly and extremely fragile. It was tough to work with. Any ideas to help fix that?? I plan on making it again today. Also I am making it with red velvet and cherrie chip flavors. Could the flavor have any affect??

4 replies
brincess_b Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 5

box mixes ar enot that sturdy - if you want to use them, better to modify it slightly - look for WASC in the recipes.
also try freeing te cake, helps to give less crumbs when u cut it.
xx

cakegirl1973 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 5

Maybe you might want to try one of the cake mix extender recipes posted here on CC. IMHO, the extender makes a sturdier cake than just a mix alone.

leah_s Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 5

That's not how you make checkerboard cake. You use a pan with rings to separate the batter and remove the rings before baking.

CWR41 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 6:02am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_edge

A checkered cake is when you cut the cake in circles and layer them so when you cut the cake it looks like a checker board.

Yes, I understand that you don't have to own a special pan to make a checkerboard cake.

http://cakesandbakesni.wordpress.com/
(scroll to pics 10-14)

http://www.chefdoughty.com/blog/?p=967

There's a much, much better example that someone posted on here, but I can't find it.

I agree that freezing the cake would be helpful, if not for less crumbs when you cut the rings, definitely for easier handling when you reassemble them in alternating colors.

I own an antique checkerboard pan that I've never used... not sure if they were originally intended to be used with scratch or boxed mix (or if cake mixes even existed that long ago), but I'd imagine lots of home bakers have had success with either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%