Best Way To Make A Gift Box Cake?

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 5 Dec 2010 , 8:47pm by LindaF144a

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone! I'm going to making a gift box cake for the first time next week and I'm wondering the best way to go about it. I wish I had Sharon Zambito's Boxes and Bows DVD, but I wouldn't get it in time now. I want the cake to be two stacked gift boxes. Boxes that look like they have lids. I was going to cover the whole square cake in fondant then cut strips to go around the top edge. Then use my clay extruder to add a thin tubed piece around the top to cover the crack. I hope you know what I mean. Is this the best way? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

5 replies
kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 6

Yep, that'll work. I made one last year and I used the same size board (thick) covered it to look like the lid and placed it on top.
Have you tried ordering the DVD from Flour Confections (in Pickering) it should arrive pretty quickly!

kaat Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 6

It won't let me post the pic but here's a link to the same pic on my FBsite
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=118918601465614&set=a.118780524812755.14298.118625371494937

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaat

Yep, that'll work. I made one last year and I used the same size board (thick) covered it to look like the lid and placed it on top.
Have you tried ordering the DVD from Flour Confections (in Pickering) it should arrive pretty quickly!

Do you have a link to that DVD?

kaat Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaat

Do you have a link to that DVD?

http://www.flourconfections.ca/shop/boxes-bowes-dvd-sharon-zambito-p-1131.html

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 6

I have Sharon's video and it is definitely a must have if you are making a gift box. I love it. It is almost 3 hours long and 4 different cakes and bows.

I would suggest Global Sugar Art to get the video. I live in NY and they are based here. I always get my order the next day! But you are in CA, is would take longer.

I would try a google search and use the google to search under cake central too. I do Cake Central: "enter subject here" when I do my searches.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%