1St Time Using Fondant To Make An Animal.....help!

Decorating By JanessaJo Updated 6 Dec 2010 , 6:05am by YOUnique_Cakes

JanessaJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanessaJo Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 9

Never used fondant....and now I need a horse. I would prefer the horse be standing and have its front legs on the fence I've made....but is the weight of the middle of the horse going to be too much for the legs? and do I use buttercreme to hold it together? I made the fence using almond bark....should I use that to hold it together instead?

Cake is due in 6 hrs...I need help fast!

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 9

Fondant really isn't for this type of project. You'd need gumpaste.
even a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste would take at least a day to dry. This is the sort of thing you need to complete several days or a week in advance. And you stick fondant to fondant with a wee bit of water or gum glue.

JanessaJo Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 9

Crap! she changed the cake order 3 days ago and I didn't know what to do about a horse so i was looking for a plastic one just to stick on top and have had no luck, so I thought I could do this....any suggestions on what to do?

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 9

They'll take more than 6 hrs to dry, but you could stick the body and legs together with a little bit of water and pieces of spaghetti or even a toothpick (just tell the recipients). You could even insert a toothpick inside the body to give it some support.

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 9

Here's a thread with 'how to' for tons of figures. It might not help you here because of your timing issue, but you might use it in the future. Good luck!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-672099.html

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 9

id make a swift change to a lying down horse!
xx

JanessaJo Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 9

brincess_b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:30 am Post subject:
id make a swift change to a lying down horse!
xx

that is exactly what I was thinking....that horse is gonna be chillen in the grass lol

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 2:25am
post #8 of 9

Definitely need more time for that! I use fondant for all my figurines, I just mix gum tragacanth powder into it for strength.

I guess you've completed the cake by now...what did you end up doing?

YOUnique_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YOUnique_Cakes Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 6:05am
post #9 of 9

I have made some pretty last minute figures. I use extra tylose in my fondant and if I were you I would use skewer stick to support the structure. I use my oven to help speed up the drying process. Just turn it to 200 for about 5 minutes, then open it and let it cool of to just a little warm then stick your figures in and turn on the oven light and leave over night. Then assemble when they have hardened some using the skewers. Well hope that helps. Best of luck to ya!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%