Decorations: Dragees

Decorating By Mercedes0613 Updated 5 Dec 2010 , 1:30pm by Occther

Mercedes0613 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 7:07am
post #1 of 6

I'm confused...when I check out retailer websites for silver/gold dragees, the majority of them say dragees are only for decoration. If this is the case then why are they considered edible?

Question #2: Can I use edible silver/gold dragees on christmas cookies? I remember doing this a long time ago what's changed?

AMJ

5 replies
Sorelle Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 9:11am
post #2 of 6

The FDA says they are not edible as of some time in the early 90's I think. Most every other country says they are edible. My family eats them, and we're only a little strange.(but I don't think it the result of eating dragees) I use them all the time. Of course if you are using them for a customer let them know what the FDA's ruling is on this.
I am curious about other responses so I'll be watching this thread for a while.

Coral3 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 6

I just checked a jar of mine and it has the nutritional information on the label, as all packaged food has here in Australia...so I'm assuming that means they are considered 'food' here!

Coral3 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 12:28pm
post #4 of 6

...I don't like eating them though, but that's out of fear I'll break a tooth.

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 6

For the silver ones, they list them as non-edible because of the silver content. But I read on here awhile back that you would have to eat a whole bunch of them before it would do anything to a person. I have only used and eaten the silver ones and I'm ok too..lol..

Occther Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 6

I believe there was a lawsuit in California about dragees - thus they can't be sold in California. And of course, the FDA is "protecting" US consumers. Though, I believe they are commonly used in other countries.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%