Decorations: Dragees

Decorating By Mercedes0613 Updated 5 Dec 2010 , 1:30pm by Occther

Mercedes0613 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 7:07am
post #1 of 6

I'm confused...when I check out retailer websites for silver/gold dragees, the majority of them say dragees are only for decoration. If this is the case then why are they considered edible?

Question #2: Can I use edible silver/gold dragees on christmas cookies? I remember doing this a long time ago what's changed?

5 replies
Sorelle Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 9:11am
post #2 of 6

The FDA says they are not edible as of some time in the early 90's I think. Most every other country says they are edible. My family eats them, and we're only a little strange.(but I don't think it the result of eating dragees) I use them all the time. Of course if you are using them for a customer let them know what the FDA's ruling is on this.
I am curious about other responses so I'll be watching this thread for a while.

Coral3 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 6

I just checked a jar of mine and it has the nutritional information on the label, as all packaged food has here in I'm assuming that means they are considered 'food' here!

Coral3 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 12:28pm
post #4 of 6

...I don't like eating them though, but that's out of fear I'll break a tooth.

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 6

For the silver ones, they list them as non-edible because of the silver content. But I read on here awhile back that you would have to eat a whole bunch of them before it would do anything to a person. I have only used and eaten the silver ones and I'm ok

Occther Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 6

I believe there was a lawsuit in California about dragees - thus they can't be sold in California. And of course, the FDA is "protecting" US consumers. Though, I believe they are commonly used in other countries.

Quote by @%username% on %date%