Crusting Buttercream

Decorating By sweetpea3829 Updated 8 Dec 2010 , 3:02pm by eieio1234

sweetpea3829 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 2:46am
post #1 of 7

Ok everyone...I do see the sticky buttercream post up top. But it's 30+ pages long and I don't see the article that was mentioned.

I need a buttercream recipe. One for a that will crust nicely (it's to be used underneath the fondant on my rocket cake). But one that is also good for the Viva method that I see mentioned as I will also be using it as the main frosting for Jesus' birthday cake.

I tried searching, but the search comes up with, I dunno, a gobzillion different ones. And I don't know which to

6 replies
nannykaren Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 2:57am
post #2 of 7

Click on the recipe tab on top and search for crusting buttercream You will see several recipes. Indideb's is really good for me.

MissBlu Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 3:04am
post #3 of 7

I second IndyDeb's.

mommynana Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 3:05am
post #4 of 7

ditto thumbs_up.gif

sweetpea3829 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 3:21am
post #5 of 7

Found it! Thanks!

diamonds-and-rust Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 1:15am
post #6 of 7

My favorite crusting BC of all time is Bunnywoman's over at the Wilton uses half butter and half shortening instead of all shortening. To me, it is much tastier than an all shortening BC. She states to beat the Crisco and butter for about 7-8 minutes, until it is the consistency of sour cream. The extended beating time will also make the icing pure white, despite the butter content. It is crusts really well and is very east to work with. Try it, you'll be glad you did thumbs_up.gif

eieio1234 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 7

I think it depends on what you're used to. I used to use a half butter/half hi ratio frosting for years but had no HR on hand and had to do a cake a few weeks ago so I mixed up a batch of Indydebi's recipe and one of Buttercream Dream. They're both crusting and the highest rated on here. I knew it would take extra time and ingredients to make up both but I wanted to taste them each in comparison. In my opinion, BD beat ID's hands down. I think because I always used a half butter recipe, so going to ID's which is all shortening, it didn't taste good at all to me. It tasted like the decorator's frosting by Wilton, just like shortening with sugar in it. I had even upped the amt of butter extract. So if you have time, I'd make up both batches and do a taste test yourself. (BTW, I used all salted butter (no unsalted) in the BD recipe)

Quote by @%username% on %date%