Looking For Gingerbread Dough

Baking By Christina1207 Updated 7 Dec 2010 , 4:56am by Cake_whiz

Christina1207 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 2:00am
post #1 of 15

I am trying to build gingerbread houses for xmas. The recipe i found on here the dough came out to soft after baking it and letting cool. I need a recipe that will be super strong. The houses are a minimal of 12 inches high and 16 inches wide. So they need to be able to hold up. I followed the directions step by step. So I don't what went wrong. Please help thanks

14 replies
manahigh Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 2:45am
post #2 of 15

The recipe I used last year came with a kit that included cookie cutter like parts to the house. It came out very hard and held together well for several weeks.

5 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3 Tsp powdered ginger
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Tsp nutmeg
1 Tsp salt
1 cup shortening
1 cup unsulphured molasses

Melt shortening in saucepan. Add sugar and molasses and mix well. Make sure sugar is fully dissolved. Sift the flour, baking soda, nutmeg, salt and ginger together in a mixing bowl. Gradually stir 4 cups of the dry ingredients into the shortening mixture. Mix thoroughly. Then put dough on countertop and mix remaining cup of flour by hand.

Roll the dough onto ungreased cookie sheets to 1/4" thickness and cut out shapes needed. Bake at 375 for 13-15 minutes.

I'll be making this recipe again this week. I hope this one works for you.

Christina1207 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 5:02am
post #3 of 15

Ah see that was my problem in the recipe it said nothing about melting the shortening and the temp was lower. Okay I will try it and hopefully it works out. This is the first year me and hubby are trying to do our own since we want to bigger than what the pre-baked kits allow. Thanks

Cake_whiz Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 10:51am
post #4 of 15

I have been working on my gingerbread house and it was a first for me too. Here's the recipe: http://www.cakewhiz.com/CakeWhiz/post/Gingerbread-house-Baking.aspx

The cookies were hard, tasted yummy and did not fall apart when my house was assembled and decorated.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

infinitsky Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_whiz

I have been working on my gingerbread house and it was a first for me too. Here's the recipe: http://www.cakewhiz.com/CakeWhiz/post/Gingerbread-house-Baking.aspx

The cookies were hard, tasted yummy and did not fall apart when my house was assembled and decorated.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

You have a nice blog... thumbs_up.gif

manahigh Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 1:31pm
post #6 of 15

Cake-whiz, great tutorial!. I think the use of parchment paper is a great one, since the gingerbread did want to stick in spots and this should eliminate this problem. I will definetly add this step to my directions.

Karen421 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 15

Cake-whiz that is a great tutorial and you have definitely inspired me! I think I will try making one this week!

Cake_whiz Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks guys! Those comments made me so happy. I am glad it helped you out.

By the way, i forgot to mention this on the blog but iif you are using those templates, then i printed those at 75% and not 100%. If you print those at 100%, i am pretty sure you would have to double my recipe.

Sorry I forgot to include this in the blog earlier.

Happy gingerbreading icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 11:02pm
post #10 of 15

Cake Whiz, I love your site!! icon_biggrin.gif

Corrie76 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 11:07pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by manahigh

The recipe I used last year came with a kit that included cookie cutter like parts to the house. It came out very hard and held together well for several weeks.

5 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3 Tsp powdered ginger
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Tsp nutmeg
1 Tsp salt
1 cup shortening
1 cup unsulphured molasses

Melt shortening in saucepan. Add sugar and molasses and mix well. Make sure sugar is fully dissolved. Sift the flour, baking soda, nutmeg, salt and ginger together in a mixing bowl. Gradually stir 4 cups of the dry ingredients into the shortening mixture. Mix thoroughly. Then put dough on countertop and mix remaining cup of flour by hand.

Roll the dough onto ungreased cookie sheets to 1/4" thickness and cut out shapes needed. Bake at 375 for 13-15 minutes.

I'll be making this recipe again this week. I hope this one works for you.

This is the exact recipe I use as well and let me tell you, it makes some tough gingerbread! One tip is that you will find that this dough gets super tough as it cools down- to make it easier to handle and roll out, I microwave the dough for like 10 seconds and it's perfect.
Also, I've quite sucessfully used 1/2 corn syrup and 1/2 molassas mix in place of the molassas- if you do that you need to add 1 1/2 tsp of water to the melted mixture. Oh and another thing I add is cinnamon and cloves to make it smell nice icon_smile.gif

Christina1207 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 5:51am
post #12 of 15

Can i use honey or 3/4 c brown sugar to a cup of molasses instead?

Corrie76 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 6:16am
post #13 of 15

I don't see why you couldn't use honey(except for the expense), and maybe the brown sugar is worth a shot, but you'd have to mix the brwn sugar with a little water to match the consistency of molasses. one thing to consider is if you use honey the dough won't be that gingerbread brown color, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing i guess. I'm feeling experimental and may try doing a similar type dough but using straight light cornsyrup instead of molasses and ommitting the spices to see if the dough can bake up with the look of a sugar cookie- but strength of the construction gingerbread.

Christina1207 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:38am
post #14 of 15

OMG thank you Cake wiz for that link and your recipe which was 10 times better than the one I found on here. It worked wonderful and I had lots of fun with it. I did a double batch since my gingerbread houses are larger than normal and I still have some dough left. Thank you thank you thank you so much icon_smile.gif

Cake_whiz Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:56am
post #15 of 15

I am so happy my blog posting helped you christina icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%