Any Tips Of Starting A Cake Business

Business By pheonix31571 Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 1:54am by snowshoe1

pheonix31571 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pheonix31571 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 7

Hi guys,

I was wanting to know if any of you have any advice for starting a new cake business any tips or advice would be great.

thanks guys,

Linda icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 7

Start with a business plan, including an analysis of your target market, local economic conditions, competitors, startup costs, required overhead, product mix, target distribution channels, and pricing structures. Some states allow commercial baking from home, which will help with overhead, but most states require a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen, which you can build yourself (sometimes on your own property) or rent.

If you don't have a background in business (or plan to take business classes to acquire that background), I recommend partnering with or hiring someone who does.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 1:57am
post #3 of 7

reading this awesome book is a great start icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1453891277/?tag=cakecentral-20

good luck and happy decorating!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 2:05am
post #4 of 7

Please do not think I am trying to discourage you, but the first thing you need to know is how much competition you have in your area.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 6:05am
post #5 of 7

Business plan definitely. The exercise of putting this together will give you all the numbers, demographics, competition info, etc., that you need. If you subscribe to CC magazine, I did an article on business plans. You can also contact your local SBDC and SCORE groups who provide free and low cost classes on how to do this.

Another book I really like is The e-Myth by Michael Gerber. It kinds shows you that running a cake business and liking to decorate cakes is NOT the same thing and why. It's common sense but sometimes it just needs to be said.

Nellical Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nellical Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 7

I think the best thing you can do is go work in a bakery for six months. Intern if you have to at first. Negotiate with them that you will intern for a month and if they like what you, er, bring to the table, you will continue to work for them for X dollars.

You really cannot know what it is like until you have spent that long in the bakery. Seriously. It will be the best lessons and it will let you know if this is what you want to do without having to invest your money. Keep your head down and keep quiet as much as possible to just soak up every bit of knowledge you can. You will never get this stuff in a book. I read a bunch of them and they did not prepare me for what I learned on my own feet in my own bakery.

Trust me on this...I wish I had.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 1:54am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Another book I really like is The e-Myth by Michael Gerber. It kinds shows you that running a cake business and liking to decorate cakes is NOT the same thing and why. It's common sense but sometimes it just needs to be said.

Ditto, ditto, ditto!! I have given this book to several family members and friends who have thought about opening a business (non-cake related also). Each person has been thankful for the book as it will make you stop and think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%