Help! Urgent - Sick Birthday Boy!

Decorating By katiegraves Updated 5 Dec 2010 , 2:39pm by cupadeecakes

katiegraves Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 13

I have a cake that is almost completely finished, covered in buttercream and fondant! The customer just called and said her son is sick and they won't have the party today, but next week instead. Can I wrap and freeze the cake and slowly thaw it with fondant? Not sure what to do!!! Help please! icon_cry.gif

12 replies
denetteb Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 13

I don't have a business but will give my 2 cents...do you have room in the freezer? If you do you can give her the option to have her pick up as ordered and she can do what she wants with it or you can freeze it and let her know that you aren't responsible if there are issues with it being frozen and stored, ie running, bleeding, condensation, etc. Seems to me it is not YOUR problem that there is a problem with her party and you aren't obligated to store it or provide a different one a week from now. So don't make her problem into your problem. If you don't have room to freeze it, let her know she still needs to pick it up as ordered with sincere concern for her sick child.

playingwithsugar Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 13

Sometimes the trouble here is that customers believe you're baking and decorating on the same day as the event, and that you can just stop what you're doing, and all is well.

My feeling is that she should the cake now and freezes it herself. That way it's delivered as scheduled and the responsibility for it's storage is her hands.

I would like to hear what Debi and Leah have to say about this. I'm sure they've dealt with this many times.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Jeana77 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 13

I had this same thing happen to me a while ago too. I placed the finished cake into a box with a lid and placed two large bags over top of the box getting out as much air as possible. It stayed in the freezer for a week. When I took it out of the freezer, I placed it in the fridge over night to slowly allow it to thaw with the bag on. Do NOT open the bags yet. After it spent the night in the fridge, I took it out and allowed it to come to room temperature (maybe about 6 hours or so) in the bag. It is important to leave the bag on the entire time so that the warm room temp. does not affect the fondant. Whne I finally took the bags off, the cake looked exactly the way it did when I put it in the freezer. Good Luck!

-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 13

Mom needs to suck it up and get someone over to pick up the cake. I'm sorry munchkin is sick. But this ain't an ice cream cone that's made a la minute or something. She ordered a cake and she needs to come get it. If you cancel late at the freaking dentist they charge yah.

Mom needs to put it in her freezer and take the chances.

Don't even start with me--I had sick kids too.
I'd never stiff someone like that.

kakeladi Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 13

It's not your responsibility to babysit the cake.
I agree w/K8 and others who suggest the customer collect the finished cake.
That's what your 'contract' called for. You have fulfilled your end of the contract, now let her fulfill hers -- even if you do not have a written actual contract You do have a verbal one.

Kitagrl Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:04pm
post #7 of 13

I agree with the others...at most, you could help her by boxing it up for her and wrapping it...but she is responsible for storing it. Presumably you have other people's cakes next week...she was on your schedule for THIS week.

cupadeecakes Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 13

This is the very reason why bakers have a laundry list of policies. It's bad customers like this that cause all of these rules.

If you have the room to store it for a week, I would tell the customer that you will refrigerate/freeze it for a week and their cake won't be as fresh as it would be today. Even with fondant, you should be OK freezing for a week, especially if you bag it.

cakesbycathy Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes

This is the very reason why bakers have a laundry list of policies. It's bad customers like this that cause all of these rules..

Ummm...she's not a bad customer. She's a mom with a sick kid.

I agree that she needs to come and get the cake but maybe agree to hold on to it for a day or two until either she can come and get it or someone else can. I'm guessing this isn't like a cold or anything. The kid is sick enough that she has to cancel the party. I'm thinking a little sympathy (hold the cake for a day not a week) will go a long way towards the mom feeling like she's had some good customer service.

katiegraves Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 9:57pm
post #10 of 13

So, here's what happened... child got to feeling better and she is now having the party anyway. Glad we aren't attending, because I wouldn't want my child to catch it! The cake was picked up on time and I am finished with it now! My stomach dropped when she called this morning and said he was sick. I am a teacher and I have a 2 year old, so I really have tight time lines and my time is valuable when it comes to cakes and I have 2 other cakes next weekend, so I was upset that she might have to serve a cake of mine after being frozen for a week. Anyway, happy ending, but lesson learned: Add a cancellation policy to my contracts! Thanks for all of the help and advice!

Cupcakeavenue Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 10:36pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiegraves

I have a cake that is almost completely finished, covered in buttercream and fondant! The customer just called and said her son is sick and they won't have the party today, but next week instead. Can I wrap and freeze the cake and slowly thaw it with fondant? Not sure what to do!!! Help please! icon_cry.gif

I think the buttercream would be fine to freeze, but the fondant not so. might go sticky after defrost.

Hate it when this happens, we have had this in the past, cant be helped, all part of having your own business, hopefully she will recommend you. cant beat word of mouth.

regards

cakinallday Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 11:20pm
post #12 of 13

I agree with the others, Pack it up and take it to her......

cupadeecakes Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 2:39pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Ummm...she's not a bad customer. She's a mom with a sick kid.

I agree that she needs to come and get the cake but maybe agree to hold on to it for a day or two until either she can come and get it or someone else can. I'm guessing this isn't like a cold or anything. The kid is sick enough that she has to cancel the party. I'm thinking a little sympathy (hold the cake for a day not a week) will go a long way towards the mom feeling like she's had some good customer service.

Well maybe she's not a "bad" customer, but she certainly won't win customer of the year. And Katie is now adding another policy to her growing list of rules (my only real point). Why would someone think they could order a perishable product and then ask you to hold it for a week? I agree that a little sympathy goes a long way, but a lot of sympathy will put you right out of business.

And it appears as though Junior's "sickness" wasn't too bad since the party went right on, still on schedule.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%