What Should I Do?

Decorating By kristanashley Updated 10 Dec 2010 , 12:29am by diamonds-and-rust

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 27

So, every now and then, I do a search online to see how my website is pulling up. Well today I discovered a new home bakery - literally like a quarter of a mile away from me (and I am in a small town). She states right on her home page that she has 2 dogs and 2 cats (illegal in my state), and she advertises selling cheesecakes (illegal in my state). I am pretty sure she is illegally selling, otherwise, I don't know why she would have those things out in the open. What should I do? Would you report your neighbor? I went through the whole process to become legit. It peeves me a little... If you want to see her website, pm me. I don't want to just put it out there.

26 replies
bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 1:07am
post #2 of 27

Yep, I would report her. And..if anyone told me about her business, I'd say
"Did you know she is operating illegally?" It won't necessarily stop them from using her but at least you gave them a heads up. Some will say, "be thankful for the competition, it makes you stronger, and illegal businesses don't hurt your business". I don't agree but that's just MHO.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 1:18am
post #3 of 27

If reporting her is what you choose to do, first call her and find out exactly what she's selling. At least, then, you will have all the facts straight before you make your report.

Theresa

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 1:58am
post #4 of 27

I understanding being peeved. It's a common practice where I live, where it is illegal to sell food from your home kitchen. Even licensed caterers send customers to unlicensed cake decorators. Home bakers don't usually have the extra expenses that inspected bakers do, so they can sell their goods for less, and sometimes customers look at price rather than safety and quality. I seriously doubt that these home bakers are reporting their income and paying tax like licensed businesses.

Illegal home bakers seem to not know or care that what they are doing is illegal. They have websites, facebook pages and plenty of business. Even if their cat throws up on the kitchen counter in front of potential customers, oh yeah, but that is another story.

I believe folks should play by the rules.....

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 2:11am
post #5 of 27

I too believe folks should play by the rules.
And I don't know any rule that says one should turn in one's neighbor for baking and selling it.
I think it stirs up more bad juju than it does good.
There could be some illegal babysitting going on in the neighborhood too. And someone fixing someone's car in an unregulated unlicensed way depriving automotive shops of thier due. I don't know--no easy answers.

I alert bakers in my area sometimes. But I don't call in on 'em. I don't think it's any of my business. I'm not protecting or enabling them but I ain't the food police.

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 2:14am
post #6 of 27

Why can't you sell cheesecakes?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 2:35am
post #7 of 27

I don't like to play police, either...I have enough to just do my own cakes and take care of my own family.

They probably cannot sell cheesecakes because they are perishable...I know even in our state, you can easily get licensed for nonperishable baking (what I do) and then I think you need extra licensing to sell actual refrigerated desserts and catering stuff like that.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 3:06am
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

I too believe folks should play by the rules.
And I don't know any rule that says one should turn in one's neighbor for baking and selling it.
I think it stirs up more bad juju than it does good.
There could be some illegal babysitting going on in the neighborhood too. And someone fixing someone's car in an unregulated unlicensed way depriving automotive shops of thier due. I don't know--no easy answers.

I alert bakers in my area sometimes. But I don't call in on 'em. I don't think it's any of my business. I'm not protecting or enabling them but I ain't the food police.

I totally agree with k8, I also realize people should play by the same rules but we can not take food out of someone else mouth either! with the economy the way it is, be blessed that you can afford those things. Some people may be just trying to put food on the table instead of state funding (welfare, not that anyone should be ashamed in this economy) we just don't know... we are not the police and I am sure that the people they are selling too know that it is out of their home and except it for what it is. just sayin.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 3:37am
post #9 of 27

WHY would she state that she has two dogs and two cats??

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 3:03pm
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

WHY would she state that she has two dogs and two cats??

I would if I was in her position. I wouldn't want someone who would have an issue with that and order a cake from me not knowing. Sometimes it's in your best interest to lay certain cards on the table and let your customer decide if it's a problem. IMO at least. icon_smile.gif

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 3:22pm
post #11 of 27

I know each state (and possibly county) is different. I operate out of a home kitchen and it cost me A LOT of money to get "legal". Price-wise, it is difficult for me to compete with an illegal baker with no overhead.

I think you should report them. If nothing is wrong, nothing will happen.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 3:46pm
post #12 of 27

"- literally like a quarter of a mile away from me (and I am in a small town). "
I wouldn't recommend reporting her. In a small town it wouldn't take long for info on who reported her to leak out. Then you would be the evil -itch who wrecked her business. Not a good thing in a small town.

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 4:58pm
post #13 of 27

I personally would either leave it, or speak to this person directly and ask them "Do you realise this is illegal?". You could always make out that you're asking out of concern for them, and that you "would hate for someone to report them".

Just a thought!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 5:57pm
post #14 of 27

I've read quite a few threads in here on this very topic. I know of a woman about 45 minutes from here who advertises on Craigslist and has a website and boasts about being a stay at home mom, and how she can save you money over bakery prices, etc. I wanted to just be helpful to her and let her know she might not want to be so out there (oh, did I mention she has her own photo on her website?) or she could have serious trouble because you can't bake from home in our state. I telephoned her, never got an answer, so I emailed her and she said she'd be in touch. Well, our website that just posts the cakes we have done are there and I think she must have figured out that we bake cakes (hobby only though), and she's 45 minutes away, not what would be competition if we were both selling, and there are legit bakeries in between that are wonderful. Anyway, she writes back saying she's very busy but will call in a day or two. She put me off several times, and never did contact me. I'm guessing she is afraid I will either threaten her, or something, don't know what; and all I wanted to do was let her know she could have problems. I would guess she must realize she is operating illegally, but doesn't care? Does it sound that way to others? (Sorry to take over this thread)

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 6:34pm
post #15 of 27

i don't know what you should do either. i'm in the same boat. i live in NC where it's legal to have a home bakery. i did everything the right way. but i know of at least two home bakers that haven't gotten legal and it drives me nuts! they both have facebook pages that they advertise with; one has a website (which she pratcially copied word for word from me). and one of them has said point blank to me, "well i can only charge my brides for the ingredient's costs b/c i'm not legal yet." i wanted to say, "well, you technically shouldn't charge at all then!" how can i compete with someone who is only charging for ingredients? oh, she's less than a mile from me! i've advised both of these women to get inspected...i've even given them the health inspector's name and cell number. but who knows what they've chosen to do with with it?! all i know is that if you live in a state where you can sell from home, then get LEGAL! and for whoever said, "in this econonomy how can we take food from their mouths..." What about my mouth, and my kids' mouths? I'm making a living too...and having to compete against other selling at cost! i'm the one playing fair, not them! so why defend them? just a thought!

Crazboutcakes Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 7:31pm
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAt2am

i don't know what you should do either. i'm in the same boat. i live in NC where it's legal to have a home bakery. i did everything the right way. but i know of at least two home bakers that haven't gotten legal and it drives me nuts! they both have facebook pages that they advertise with; one has a website (which she pratcially copied word for word from me). and one of them has said point blank to me, "well i can only charge my brides for the ingredient's costs b/c i'm not legal yet." i wanted to say, "well, you technically shouldn't charge at all then!" how can i compete with someone who is only charging for ingredients? oh, she's less than a mile from me! i've advised both of these women to get inspected...i've even given them the health inspector's name and cell number. but who knows what they've chosen to do with with it?! all i know is that if you live in a state where you can sell from home, then get LEGAL! and for whoever said, "in this econonomy how can we take food from their mouths..." What about my mouth, and my kids' mouths? I'm making a living too...and having to compete against other selling at cost! i'm the one playing fair, not them! so why defend them? just a thought!

I was just saying that as far as our economy and life in general, I guess you can do what you wish, but when it comes right down to it, if your husband or wife was outta work or a single mom with nothing coming in and needed to feed your family anyway you could, what would you do, is it worth it to you to see someone one... anyone for that matter go without because you/they didn't do what was right? You should not be the judge for what anyone is doing... their is only one judge for right and wrong and the last time I heard His name it was GOD!

kristanashley Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 7:37pm
post #17 of 27

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I'm just going to send her a message and let her know that it's illegal. She might not know, and I'm going to give her the benefit of a doubt. also, somebody asked why selling cheesecakes is illegal here - it's only illegal to sell them from your home because they are not deemed a "low risk" food because they are so perishable.

kristanashley Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 7:47pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazboutcakes

I was just saying that as far as our economy and life in general, I guess you can do what you wish, but when it comes right down to it, if your husband or wife was outta work or a single mom with nothing coming in and needed to feed your family anyway you could, what would you do, is it worth it to you to see someone one... anyone for that matter go without because you/they didn't do what was right? You should not be the judge for what anyone is doing... their is only one judge for right and wrong and the last time I heard His name it was GOD!

I'm not just going to turn her in. I wrote her a friendly message to let her know that she could get in trouble for selling illegaly.

That being said, I find a lot wrong with this mentality. I believe in integrity. If you can't get something honestly, then you don't get it. God wants us to do what is right and trust in him to provide.

Crazboutcakes Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 8:19pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristanashley

Quote:

I'm not just going to turn her in. I wrote her a friendly message to let her know that she could get in trouble for selling illegaly.

That being said, I find a lot wrong with this mentality. I believe in integrity. If you can't get something honestly, then you don't get it. God wants us to do what is right and trust in him to provide.

This wasn't intended for you kristen, and I am sure you will do the right thing/or have done the right thing... and yes God will provide for us no matter what others are doing if we trust in him. sorry if I affended you in any way. but it wasn't intended for you.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 8:51am
post #20 of 27

After you send the email, see if she stops. If she doesn't, I would turn her in. This is just my opinion and I do respect those who say leave it alone. I am not opposed to people selling to friends, co-workers, family, etc... or even word of mouth. They were probably never a customer for retail. But to solicit strangers is too much, especially online. In my area, it is extremely costly to open a home or shop (same requirements), so I have tons of money invested. Luckily, no one advertises illegally here. I think our health dept keeps their eyes wide open.

The licenses are required for public safety and I am glad those requirements are in place every time I eat outside of my home.

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 3:06pm
post #21 of 27
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAt2am

there's no need for you to tell me who makes the final decision's around here...my faith in God is what keeps me on the right path. and if you read my post, you would see that i haven't turned anyone in...i've done everything to help these people get legal (given them names, numbers, contacts, websites, encouragement, helpful hints, insider info, etc). but they still do nothing about it... and thus, not playing fair. i still find it funny that you defend them, yet come down harder on the one who actually did everdything right! ironic.

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 3:41pm
post #22 of 27

I hear ya 2am. I'm also in NC. It's not hard to get licensed here. Not hard at all. Well unless you got a fur baby.

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 8:33pm
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniferkay

I hear ya 2am. I'm also in NC. It's not hard to get licensed here. Not hard at all. Well unless you got a fur baby.

I was thinking the same.. so other than the pets... which i supose its possible they are outdoor pets ( I have 2 outdoor only cats and they do not affect my licensing)... its so easy and essentially free to get licensed in NC. All I had to pay for was a well water test (which if you are on city water you don't need) and to buy shatterproof lighbulbs. Inspectioon was easy too. Maybe she doesn't realize how cheap and easy it is.

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 10:24pm
post #24 of 27

If you have contacted her with a "friendly" email or letter regarding her operating an illegal business, and she continues to operate illegally, I would just drop it. If this was done anonomously, I might be inclined to persue it, but if she knows who you are, where you live, etc, I would leave it go. You never know just what she or her husband/family would be capable of in this situation. You may be placing your property or even your persosnal safety in danger. Just sayin, some people are capable of some heinous acts when put in this kind of a situation.

diamonds-and-rust Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 11:18pm
post #25 of 27

Just added to say that I hope that I didn't come across as a paranoid nut job, but living in a large metropolitan area, things like this happen over much lesser situations. Just would hate to see this happen to you over a relatively trivial situation. Put your family and your safety first.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 11:50pm
post #26 of 27

diamonds-and-rust, sadly, I think you made a very valid point that needs to be taken into consideration.

diamonds-and-rust Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 12:29am
post #27 of 27

sad but true....this is the world we live in

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%