How Many Times Can I Freeze A Cake?

Decorating By zespri Updated 4 Dec 2010 , 9:30am by scp1127

zespri Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 6:44am
post #1 of 5

I'm looking to find ways of saving time (full-time worker with an 18mth old baby), so was hoping to be able to bake and freeze cakes one night, then another night fill and buttercream them, then re-freeze until I'm ready to fondant/decorate them. Can anyone see any problems with that?

I know you're not supposed to re-freeze meat, but this isn't meat, it's cake! I have read a few posts where people double freeze and find everything OK, but I just wanted to get any other thoughts on it in case there is something I'm missing. I'd hate to mess up my friends wedding cake.

4 replies
mom2twogrlz Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 7:13am
post #2 of 5

I was wondering the same thing, but for cakeballs. I have cake that is frozen, and will have to defrost it to make cakeballs, then refreeze til needed. Will they be ok, or will they taste life freezer?????

brincess_b Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 8:30am
post #3 of 5

i know my cakes dont like being frozen twice. yours might be ok, they might not - experiment and see.
xx

Evoir Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 8:34am
post #4 of 5

I'd say freeze once only...but thats just my experience.

scp1127 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 9:30am
post #5 of 5

Maryland does not allow something to be frozen twice. If I freeze it once, I have to label it that it has been previously frozen and the consumer should not freeze it again. My inquiries were in reference to dairy (cheesecakes, I need to quick freeze them to move them to a cake board, so now I get it just cold enough to solidify the butter in the crust and not freeze the cake), but you do have fillings. I would ask your health dept.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%