Is It My Fault The Cake Collapsed?

Decorating By zespri Updated 28 Aug 2013 , 4:07am by Nadiaa

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 3:02am
post #31 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

Ooops - I meant CENTRE dowel!! Sorry for the confusion.

Of course, I use enough regular dowels throughout my tiers...absolutely.

Gotcha. thumbs_up.gif

BluntlySpeakingKarma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 5:02am
post #32 of 134

SPS=highly overrated as well, once you get a few tiered cakes under your belt. 5 and 6 tier cakes? By all means, yes, SPS. 3 and 2 tier cakes...why? No.

Bubble Tea straws are fabulous and work well for 2, 3 and 4 tier cakes w/ or w/out fondant.

Dowels? Disgusting little pieces of musty wood that will ultimately fail you some day. Straws just don't move around on you. Ever. Unless you're a bonehead and brake quickly or try to carry the cake sideways.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 9:43am
post #33 of 134

Zespri - KarmaCakes10 makes a good point too. I have a bunch of bubble tea straws on hand for tiered buttercream cakes and for under heavier cake toppers. I couldn't find them in Aus, but got them hella cheap from a Malaysian distributor via eBay.

I have a heeyooooge 8-tier monstrosity coming up in April next year and am thinking of importing the SPS system just for that cake icon_wink.gif

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 9:47am
post #34 of 134

Evoir, I have searched for them here too, no luck. If you can't find them in Aussie, I'd have no like in NZ! Would you mind sending me the details, I'd really appreciate it...

Bloomin' heck.... eight tiers icon_surprised.gif

Evoir Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 9:49am
post #35 of 134

I know!! The bride wants the exact replica of the cake lleyton Hewitt and Bec Cartwright had 5 years ago. Look it up sometime - its unbelievable, LOL...

I will see if I can find the details of the straws on my eBay acct - I bought them ages ago icon_smile.gif

Evoir Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 9:50am
post #36 of 134

Debi - the general guideline we are taught in Australian courses is one dowel for every 2 inches above. ie if you have a 9 inch tier above a 12 inch tier, you use 4 -5 dowels. This is what I told zespri too, before she made the cake icon_smile.gif I am glad your experience confirms this too...I have never had a cake shift like that.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 10:49am
post #37 of 134

This one Evoir? http://www.lleytonhewitt.biz/images/wedding/Picture8.jpg ? This is the only picture I could find...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 12:19am
post #38 of 134

I wouldn have dowelled the cake the same way that you did, and I don't use a center dowel at all. I don't know if this was mentioned anywhere before, but it's more secure to deliver a cake when it's cold, refrigerate it beforehand even if it has fondant on it. I deliver stacked three-tiered cakes all the time, but only if they've been refrigerated. If I don't have the fridge space I stack two tiers and assemble the third on site. For four-tiered cakes I stack two and assemble the last two on site.

If the cake is cold it's more solid and won't be as likely to shift and move in transit.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 12:49am
post #39 of 134

I like bubble tea straws. I use 1 per two inches on top, plus one. (So, to support a 10 inch cake, I use 5.

So easy to cut!

And I do like to refrigerate before transporting.

I love a center dowel, even with just two layers. Call it my "piece (of wood) of mind".

Evoir Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 3:39am
post #40 of 134

LisaPeps - that's the one!

Lizzard1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzard1 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 4:03am
post #41 of 134

The center dowel would have kept it together...I usually set them together with royal icing too. Setting up on sight always is the safest bet icon_smile.gif

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 4:31am
post #42 of 134

I had to learn the hard way, always dowel the center of the cake. I also would have put more dowels in the bottom tier. The cake looked beautiful! What flavor was it? It looked yummy. icon_biggrin.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 5:16pm
post #43 of 134

SPS - not overrated at all. I don't have to worry about cake sliding, I don't worry about cake collapsing, I don't have to stack onsite and I don't worry about customers coming in to pick up their own tiered cakes, usually party cakes. I give them driving advice but I hope things make it okay, but I know that a dowel isn't going to shift or a cake slide off.

I HATED making tiered cakes before SPS and now, we often deliver 5 tiered cakes already stacked. I like to decorate after cakes are stacked most of the time and with SPS, it's not a problem for me to stack, decorate and then deliver.

You can never go wrong with SPS. As far as costing more, I charge my customers for it and no one has ever complained.

Evoir Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 10:59pm
post #44 of 134

tracy - I wish there was a cheap way to get it here in Australia...I think I'd be a convert icon_smile.gif

BK13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BK13 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:20pm
post #45 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by zespri

Evoir, I have searched for them here too, no luck. If you can't find them in Aussie, I'd have no like in NZ! Would you mind sending me the details, I'd really appreciate it...

I had a tough time finding bubble tea straws as well but recently my sis found some for me from someone in Oztion. I think there are about 50 in the pack. I'm just a hobby baker so that's heaps for me. Just went into Oztion and there are still some listed (http://www.oztion.com.au/buy/auction.aspx?itemid=11217644)

Good luck.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 9:58pm
post #47 of 134

Are you sure this was a cakin issue or a driving issue? I looks to me that possibly someone might have turned a corner to fast. Either way...sorry this happened and the cake was lovely.

Naureenk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naureenk Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 6:49pm
post #48 of 134
Naureenk Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 6:53pm
post #49 of 134

AIs it driving issue because my client took the cake themselves. Or is it something else? I put dowel in bottom tier only. Since its only two tier.... Please help

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 6:56pm
post #50 of 134

It could be any number of reasons, but I see in the picture where the cake is complete, the bottom tier looks a bit bulgy, so perhaps the cake was a bit soft? Was it hot that day? Did anyone bump the cake? How was it delivered? It looks like your dowels displaced to the right of the cake, which is incidentally where there is a large bulging part on the bottom layer. Did you cut your dowels to exactly the same height?

We would need more information to be able to help you so it doesn't happen again!

p.s. I use SPS on all tiered cakes, it is a no-fail, foolproof way of stacking. 

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 6:56pm
post #51 of 134

When you say dowel...do you mean just one? tell us how you assembled the cake step by step. This thread is 3 years old

I enlarged it so my old eyes could see better. There are definitely issues in the first pic so I am going with a structural issue. Was this your first wedding cake? Was it your wedding cake. I love the design idea

Dayti Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 7:02pm
post #52 of 134

There's definitely more than one dowel, I can see them (white plastic ones I think)

Dayti Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 7:03pm
post #53 of 134

Sorry, I only just saw the client was driving. Where did they have the cake in the car (floor, seat, trunk...)?

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 7:15pm
post #54 of 134

Even if they were driving there were problems with the cake before hand.

Naureenk Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 7:20pm
post #55 of 134

AIt was inner daughter lap. Yes my first wedding cake but i have made tiered cakes before (anniversary, castle). Yes, I meant to say dowels ( sorry am little upset because of my cake) and it was hot today. And I don't put my cakes in fridge once I put fondant on, it makes my cakes sweat. But I kept in cool dark place.my client collected at 1:30pm, and kept in her dinning room ( she said that's the coolest place in her house ). The venue was I think from her house probably be 30-40 mins. Dowels, I use plastic ones, cut them same size as the cake. Used 6ish cut dowels. And top tier was placed on top but I didn't put any dowel through my second tier.

Naureenk Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 7:21pm
post #56 of 134

AThank you :) I loved it too, such a same it collapsed :"(

Naureenk Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 7:26pm
post #57 of 134

AYes it was collected by my client in the afternoon, I advised her to keep in a cool place but not in fridge. Fridge makes my cake sweat. I had put 6ish dowels, cut same size as the cake. Top tier was placed on with any tiers

Naureenk Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 7:27pm
post #58 of 134

ACake was in my client daughters lap. She was holding it in the car

Naureenk Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 7:33pm
post #59 of 134

AI meant, 6 cake size plastic dowels

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 7:53pm
post #60 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naureenk 

Thank you icon_smile.gif I loved it too, such a same it collapsed :"(

Yes...such a shame for the bride. I hope you are making it right with her. I would be devastated bothasthe bride and as the decorator.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%