How Do I Fix This Problen With For Icing?

Baking By bostonterrierlady Updated 7 Dec 2010 , 11:41am by Sharonvdberg

bostonterrierlady Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:20am
post #1 of 5

I have had a problem the last few cakes I have made. Thank goodness for decorations. I choose to use Crisco because of the trans fats. I have to not eat them for health reasons, so do not want to feed them to someone else. But thats another story. I used approx. 5C Crisco, 2Pkgs. Dream Whip,Flavorings, Whole Milk, Corn Syrup. 4lbs powdered sugar. "I wanted to have an icing that barely crusted. It always has bubble no matter what I try. And as it starts to go on and crust it is gummy to work with. Kind of almost rubbery. I put icing on rather thick so crumbs would not show through. It is impossible for me to get it smooth. It end up looking like the Michellan Man. Almost mishapen. I am at my wits end. Any suggestions? Thanks everybody.

4 replies
cupadeecakes Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:32am
post #2 of 5

If changing your icing recipe isn't an option, I would try putting on thinner coats and refrigerating for 30 minutes between coats.

bostonterrierlady Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:35am
post #3 of 5

Thanks. Can you tell me what icing recipe you use?

indydebi Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 11:09am
post #4 of 5

your recipe is similar to mine with a few differences:

You: 5 cups crisco to 4 lbs p.sugar.
Me: 2.6 cups crisco to 4 lbs p.sugar.

You: corn syrup
Me: none

You: 2 envelopes of dream whip
me: less than 1 envelope of dream whip

You dont' say how much milk you used, but for 4 lbs of p.sugar I use 2/3 to 1 cup of milk.

with twice the amt of fat (crisco) PLUS the corn syrup, I sure understand why it's "gummy".

Mine is a crusting BC and you said you didnt' want that, so adding more fat would be the solution. Not sure what the corn syrup is doing for it? icon_confused.gif

Sharonvdberg Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 11:41am
post #5 of 5

I did a similar thing for a birthday cake that did not come out to my liking. I tried to do it all in one go. Now I know that bakers are actually using this method instead of fondant, I feel confident to try it again. Personally I find the fondant disgustingly sweet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%