Jolly Rancher Diamond Ring For Engagement...

Sugar Work By soon-to-be-engaged Updated 4 Dec 2010 , 2:52am by sugarandstuff

soon-to-be-engaged Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soon-to-be-engaged Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 1:49am
post #1 of 11

Hello all icon_smile.gif

Well I have an interesting issue that I would love input on..

This Christmas, I am traveling out to Wyoming from NY to spend the holiday with my girlfriend, and with any luck in my neck of the woods, I'm going to ask her to marry me..

We have an inside joke that if only they made them, she would have gotten a kick out of a Jolly Rancher ring-pop type ring coming out of my pocket if/when I were to as her.. Well, I'm setting out to do just that, with a real ring hidden elsewhere..

I've read from a 2003 post on here that it's fairly easy to melt down Jolly Ranchers by crushing them, adding a little water until it's wet, and heating to hard crack stage before pouring in a high-temp mold.. I'm running into two issues with that plan: First, I can't find a mold of a big diamond.. I did find a possible solution to that, being Castin Craft food grade high temp silicone mold putty.. I could make a mold of a big diamond shaped something or other, then pour into it. The second issue that I'm seeing will come up, and I can't find a solution to, is if I make a mold of something shaped like a big diamond, I can't figure out a way how to not have to cut it and have to pour two halves.. I can just see a nasty seam form from doing something like that.

Soo, after that small book, I'm looking to figure out how to cast Jolly Ranchers into a big diamond, and still have it look like a nice big diamond..

I'd appreciate any ideas, even if they are off the wall icon_smile.gif

Thanks!
Mike

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 2:06am
post #2 of 11

I'm digging around on the Chicago Mold School site and I found this mold

http://store.chicagomoldschool.com/product_p/pi022.htm

and I was thinking you could put two of the smaller cabachon crests together --then I remembered you don't want to do that--but I think it would make a wonderfully gawdy gem for a ring--but poke around on there and/or contact Chef Michael there.

And the thing about a mold is that you could pour a gem and the mold is flexible so you can remove one entire 'gemstone' and then put that on a separately poured ring.

And I would not add any water to the jolly ranchers.

And there's a great isomalt company --really making it simple for newbies to have great success with their product--it's called-- cakeplay.com

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 2:13am
post #4 of 11

Well, congrats on the proposal! as for the ring, I would just buy a ring pop. wouldn't that be a million times easier? lol.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 2:19am
post #5 of 11

Since op is a newbie I'll answer your question, Liha21--yes it would be a million and a half times easier!!!

Or I mean if you're in New York City there are probably dozens of cakers there who could make one for you.
Cake Alchemy comes to mind--she loves doing sugar work.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 2:22am
post #6 of 11

Congratulations! I vote "ring pop", they seem to be at every mini-mart, 7-11, drug store candy section, etc.

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 2:26am
post #7 of 11

I found two large diamond candy molds on amazon just make sure you get the silicone one.
HTH

-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 2:29am
post #8 of 11
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 2:37am
post #9 of 11

Congrats!!! Hope she says yes!!

I don't know how much this will help you, but here are some more silicone gem molds: http://www.decoratethecake.com/store/WsDefault.asp?Cat=Molds&Sub=92&isThumbs=Yes&Thumbs=100

Then here's a link to how I did the stained glass (jolly rancher) butterflies on a couple of my pix -- done in silicone molds. Very easy!! http://forum.cakecentral.com/how-to-make-stained-glass-ftopicp-2786563.html#2786563

Good luck!! icon_biggrin.gif

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 2:47am
post #10 of 11

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-make-silicone-ring-mould-356894/

Try this, it may work with food grade silicone and the right ring. Congrats!

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 2:52am
post #11 of 11

I have the one from Decorate the cake - (there's two pics in my gallery - one that turned out great - one not so great) It's not the easiest thing to do, I did it with Isolmalt, but with some practice you should be able to do it with Jolly Ranchers melted down. The owner of that company is also very helpful if you have questions. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%