3D Cat Playing With Yarn...help!

Decorating By AnaB4 Updated 4 Dec 2010 , 8:41am by FlourPots

AnaB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnaB4 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 12:37am
post #1 of 6

So I'm very new to cake decorating, and at this point I'm really just doing birthday cakes for friends as practice. I love a challenge, but this request from a 5 year old may be more than I can handle...LOL! She would like a cat playing with a ball of yarn, with both the cat and the yarn being cake. The yarn I can handle, and if the cat doesn't work out, I told the mother I would just do some little cat figures out of fondant (like the debbie brown cake) and she was fine with that. I'd really like to try it though, but I'm having trouble figuring out where to start. The whole thing only needs to feed about 10 people, so it doesn't have to be very big at all. Should I stack and carve rounds or squares to make the cat? And is my only real option for the head RKT? Thanks in advance! I'm totally addicted to this website and am amazed by the talent you all have!

5 replies
bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 12:55am
post #2 of 6

I would go the debbie brown cake route. I made this cake before and I was easy enough to do with out too much stress. If you really want to make the cat out of cake then maybe you could do one laying down with it's head on the floor. that way it can be all cake and no RKT. HTH.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 1:28am
post #3 of 6

I agree with bakencake...I've made the Debbie Brown version (it's in my pics)...my cats were made of MMF and tylose.

Since the mom is ok with it and you're new to decorating...do it. A 5-yr. old would love it...I can't imagine her being upset.

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 1:32am
post #4 of 6

AnaB4, I did one I think something like your talking about, it's in my photos on page 2. If I can be of any help just let me knowicon_smile.gif

AnaB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnaB4 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 5:04am
post #5 of 6

Flour Pots, that's so funny you replied...yours is the pic I showed the mom as to what the cake could look like with the fondant kitties. LOVE IT! I can only hope mine will be anywhere near as flawless!

Thanks to those who responded...I appreciate your advice!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 8:41am
post #6 of 6

Well thank you so much...that's very cool to hear icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%