Introduction And Suggestions

Decorating By Mkwiat Updated 4 Dec 2010 , 4:56am by Mkwiat

Mkwiat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mkwiat Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 5

Hi All,

I'm VERY new to cakecentral and to cake making. I've been baking since I was a little girl, but just recently have I actually made money from it, when someone asked me to make some cupcakes.

Anyway, my triplets birthday is coming up. They will be 7 (2 boys and 1 girl). THEY insist on a STACKED cake! So this will be my first and I am pretty nervous. Can anyone give me some tips on how to accomplish this. Also, I was thinking of keeping the decorating simple and using edible images around the sides of the cake tiers ( I saw it on Hell's Kitchen icon_wink.gif ) and topping the cake with little fondant triplets and maybe three 7's. Would plain buttercream icing work best for the the edible images or fondant?

Anyone have any ideas, tips for me? I'm starting to get a little nervous as the day approaches (Dec. 12th).

Thanks

Maryann

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 5

Be sure to allow at least twice the amount of time you need to assemble and decorate. Have all the baking and icing completed well in advance of that. Study study study how to assemble a tier cake. Consider using sps which is 'single plate system'--it will make it much more user friendly for you.

Yikes! Triplets! And you wanna make their cake--You ROCK!!!!!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 5

there are some pictures of cake stacking on Wilton's site:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/stacked-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

Mkwiat Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:56am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Be sure to allow at least twice the amount of time you need to assemble and decorate. Have all the baking and icing completed well in advance of that. Study study study how to assemble a tier cake. Consider using sps which is 'single plate system'--it will make it much more user friendly for you.

Yikes! Triplets! And you wanna make their cake--You ROCK!!!!!

Thanks K8memphis! I appreciate it. I will study study study. And I will definitely look into sps. How far in advance can you have the baking done?

Maryann

Mkwiat Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:56am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

there are some pictures of cake stacking on Wilton's site:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/stacked-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

Thanks Metria,

I will definitely print this out!

Maryann

Quote by @%username% on %date%