Advance Decorating

Decorating By amysue99 Updated 4 Dec 2010 , 6:21am by Sweet_Toof

amysue99 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 8

How far in advance can I decorate a fondant covered cake and it still remain fresh?

I usually try to decorate the night before it's due, but I've just had a customer move her date and am trying to see if it's possible for me to fit it into my schedule.

7 replies
brincess_b Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 8

partly depends on the cake. mine are good after 5 days, but i prefer to aim for 3 max.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 8

I usually do mine two nights before. (Thurs night for a Sat am pick up/delivery)

amysue99 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 8

That is good to know. HOpefully it will be possible for me to decorate 1 tier on Tuesday, one Tier on Wednesday, and the other tier on Thursday. Would they still taste good on Friday? They'll be WASC variations with BC or ganache under fondant.

amysue99 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:51am
post #5 of 8

The ganache is my main concern. Any advice? I know it's Friday, but hopefully someone out there is not too busy to share their knowledge!

cakegirl1973 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 5:10am
post #6 of 8

Ganache can be left on the counter for 2 days, so it sounds like you will need to place the cake in the fridge. When you take it out of the fridge, set it on the counter and don't touch it for at least an hour so the condensation can evaporate. Good luck!

amysue99 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 5:14am
post #7 of 8

The main thing I"m worried about is cake shrinkage. I've had problems with my cakes shrinking in the fridge, even once they've been iced. I've already informed the client that we may need to nix the ganache and go with all bc under the fondant.

Sweet_Toof Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 6:21am
post #8 of 8

if it suits the cake flavour, I'd go ganache under the fondant, not the buttercream.
I'm not sure what sort of cake you're using, but I use a mudcake, here in Aus we've been told some mudcakes can be left out for 7-10 days. I don't like the idea of 10 days, but I do take mine out of the freezer about 3 days before the function date, and I finish decorating it 2 or 1 days ahead of time.
My cake peaks its flavour around the 3rd day. I've eaten it right up to 8 days.. but I like the flavour anywhere before the 5th day.
Perhaps its even worthwhile you offering a different sort of cake like mine for these scenarios.

Quote by @%username% on %date%