How To Cover Board With Fondant For Odd Shaped Cake

Decorating By MissyTex Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 4:34pm by CWR41

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 5

I have made a 2-D helmet cake and want to cover the board in fondant. Im not sure how to do this. Its not like a round cake where I can just roll up the fondant and unroll it around the board. Right now it is covered in cake foil and the foil has marks in it from where I cut off the excess fondant when I covered the cake. Am I just out of luck? What else can I do to make the board look nice?

I'll try to post a pic.

4 replies
MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 5

trying to post the pic

well I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't post it

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 5

Missy, roll out the fondant like you normally would to cover the board, then cover the board in pieces. Overlap each piece, then slice through both pieces to make a neat seam.

The most important thing -- DON'T glue the fondant to the board until you have all your pieces cut. Then, just lift a little and brush a little piping gel underneath. You don't need glue under every inch of the fondant. Once it hardens, it's not going to move.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 5

You also might be able to work in some piped "grass" with the grass tip to camouflage seams or dings in the foil if your design allows.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyTex

the foil has marks in it from where I cut off the excess fondant when I covered the cake.

It sounds like you covered your cake while it was on the foil-covered board, if I'm reading this correctly, that's why the foil has marks in it, right? If you cover your cake (on its own custom-shaped corrugated board), and add it to the presentation base board, you'll eliminate damaging the board. Also, if it's colored foil, not all foil is "food safe" so it's important to have the cake on its own board to keep it from touching some decorative coverings such as Contact paper and some foils.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%