Please Help!

Baking By woodyfam Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 9:00pm by woodyfam

woodyfam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodyfam Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 11

I am in the middle of making a cake and need to fix fondant hardened decorations on fondant. I just realized that I am out of meringue powder to make the royal icing. Any other way to make them stick (ie. recipes, alternatives)???

10 replies
diane223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane223 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 11

I always do mine with a little bit of water. I take a paintbrush and lightly put water on the back of the decoration I'm trying to stick.

lyndya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndya Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 11

got piping gel?

woodyfam Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you for replying so quickly. I do not have any piping gel either icon_sad.gif. If I use the dab of water will it hold pretty firmly or should I try a thick buttercream frosting dabbed?

missluckypiggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missluckypiggy Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 11

I only use a little water, and it is strong enough.

I see on youtube once, this woman use egg white instead of water.

Hope it helps & Good luck!

NatalieC923 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieC923 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 2:02pm
post #6 of 11

I always just use water. and I've never had a problem with things falling off. Just a light brushing of water is all you need -- don't put so much that it runs! If your fondant decorations are thick, just lightly hold it for a second or two and it will grab.

Good luck!

woodyfam Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 11

You guys are wonderful! Thank you so much. I am so relieved!

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:05pm
post #8 of 11

Water should work, but if you're not comfortable with that you could also use gunge. Gunge is fondant and a little bit of water, mixed to consistency of chewing gum. I usually add a bit more water so it is more spreadable.

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:14pm
post #9 of 11

I always use water - never an issue!! Good luck!

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 11

i use a glue made out of tylose and water. i have had a lot of sucess using this-it's tacky and good for holding slightly larger pieces. however, i always use melted chocolate candy melts for larger, heavier pieces. works like a charm everytime!! (do not use Wilton candy melts) HTH

woodyfam Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 9:00pm
post #11 of 11

I love the new ideas. I didn't see them in time but will remember them for next time. I used the water and added a dab of super thick buttercream too. I love the cake and am thrilled with the results. I appreciate your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%