Vanilla Extract, Imitation Vanilla, And Vanilla Flavoring???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 4 Dec 2010 , 2:34am by LaurenLuLu

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 9

What is the difference between Extract, Imitation and Pure??? This goes with Almond flavoring as well??

So many choices, what to pick?? If I am just making a cake or icing that calls for just vanilla, what do I pick?

Thanks,

Michael

8 replies
Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 9

Imitation vanilla is synthetic and pure vanilla comes from vanilla beans. Pure vanilla is stronger than imitation, so it takes less of it. If the flavor of what I'm making is supposed to be vanilla (vanilla cake, vanilla frosting, etc), I use pure vanilla because it's better. If it's just a highlight (like the dash you add to chocolate or other flavors) then I will use imitation because it's cheaper. Pure vanilla is brown, and will tint your white buttercream so I try to use a clear imitation for that.
I'm sure there are other differences/reason to choose one or the other, but those are mine. icon_smile.gif HTH

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/tools-and-techniques/vanilla-extract-questions.htm

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin3085

Imitation vanilla is synthetic and pure vanilla comes from vanilla beans. Pure vanilla is stronger than imitation, so it takes less of it. If the flavor of what I'm making is supposed to be vanilla (vanilla cake, vanilla frosting, etc), I use pure vanilla because it's better. If it's just a highlight (like the dash you add to chocolate or other flavors) then I will use imitation because it's cheaper. Pure vanilla is brown, and will tint your white buttercream so I try to use a clear imitation for that.
I'm sure there are other differences/reason to choose one or the other, but those are mine. icon_smile.gif HTH

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/tools-and-techniques/vanilla-extract-questions.htm

Thank you for the information! That link was helpful as well!

Michael

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 9

I use pure vanilla for all my cake baking, and not just any pure vanilla, I invest in the good stuff. It does make a difference.

I save the imitation or cheaper pure vanilla for everyday family baking. lol

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 9

There was a test on Cook's Illustrated or somewhere like that --maybe not CI but someone will think of the right place--anyhow they tested cookies made with real vanilla and with imitation. And they could not tell the difference.

In icings for sure and maybe in cake we can detect the difference but not in cookies so says that experiment. Interesting huh.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 9

Excellent reading there K8! I had seen that before, but couldn't find it. They did a test (I think in '06??) where the imitation brand by CVS won their testings.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 9

I mean whooda thought, huh?!!

LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 2:34am
post #9 of 9

There's also vanilla paste which is basically vanilla beans scraped into a thick viscous medium similar to corn syrup. Tastes AMAZING although the drawback is that in a frosting the tiny seeds can be seen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%