Chocolate Buttercream Help!!!!!

Baking By SugarKissesCakery Updated 7 Dec 2010 , 11:59am by Sharonvdberg

SugarKissesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarKissesCakery Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 1:40am
post #1 of 9

I made chocolate buttercream today for the first time. It tastes fine but it is not a dark chocolate brown . . . more of a light brown. I've added almost two containers of brown coloring hoping to darken it up. I've also added more cocoa powder but it is still not dark enough. Anyone know how to achieve the rich, dark color I'm looking for? I'm afraid it will start to taste bad if I add more coloring.

8 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 1:47am
post #2 of 9

Black food coloring will help or Hershey's liquid chocolate (for chocolate milk).

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 1:53am
post #3 of 9

I've dealt with the same issue. I agree, that adding small amounts of black food color till you get the fudgy brown color you're looking for, is the way to go.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 1:56am
post #4 of 9

When you want a dark chocolate frosting, use the Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate cocoa...it makes it a much deeper brown.

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 2:49am
post #5 of 9

I use melted bittersweet chocolate like Bakers Chocolate squares with butter, icing sugar and milk or cream. It gets a fudgy brown colour and taste. Coco has nice taste but doesn't get as dark.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 4:06am
post #6 of 9

I agree with Loucinda. I just made salt dough cookies and I wanted them gingerbread colored. The Hershey's Dark was too dark but the dutch processed was just right.

SugarKissesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarKissesCakery Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll try adding a little black. Next time I'll try the Hershey's Dark Cocoa instead. It is people like you that make me LOVE this site. So helpful icon_smile.gif

visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 9

The Dark brown I wanted one time, wasn't dark enough so I put it in an air tight container, left it out in the daylight and the color intensified.

Sharonvdberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sharonvdberg Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 11:59am
post #9 of 9

I love the chocolatey taste so I add LOTS of cocoa powder. Also a half tsp coffee improves the taste greatly, seems to complement the chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%