Icing And Cookie Flavorings ?'s

Baking By KrisCraft Updated 28 Sep 2011 , 1:24am by GeminiRJ

KrisCraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisCraft Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 9

I use mostly vanilla and almond flavorings for my meringue powder buttercream icing to glaze my cookies , and vanilla and butter flavorings for my sugar cookies.. pretty simple no one in the house is a chocolate lover and I am the only lemon lover, so I stick to the basics for all my cookies. I am just a hobby baker, baking for gifts for friends and neighbors for fun.
I mostly buy Wilton flavorings with my Michaels or Joanns coupons.. I use clear vanilla for icing and Kirkland (Costco) brand vanilla for cookies.
I am wondering if there is a better quality brand/flavor I should check out? I have 3 cake supply stores within 20 minutes of my home and they sell other brands. Is there a difference?
Thank you to all the wonderful advice I get on this forum and over at karenscookies.net cookiesrus forum! Amazing talented people out there!
Kris

8 replies
Kandis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandis Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 9

I always use Wilton Butter flavoring, Tones Almond extract and I have used several of Lorann flavorings! I always wonder if there are better ones out there too!

KrisCraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisCraft Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 9

I saw a post somewhere about princess bakery emulsion and cake bouquet... what flavors and brands are those?

writersblock15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writersblock15 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 12:54am
post #4 of 9

I like Lorann. They have a large selection of good quality extracts, oils, and flavorings. If you can't find it locally, you can buy from their website

https://www.lorannoils.com/

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 12:59am
post #5 of 9

I use Spices etc.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 5:09am
post #6 of 9

I use Spices Etc. as well and swear by it. The flavorings are all-natural and I have had great success with them. I am going to do a cut and paste rather than retype the info I posted recently, but if it helps, here is a coupon code for a first time order:

I absolutely love the all-natural flavorings from Spices Etc. A lot of my cookie friends use them as well. I like it in my dough and/or my RI It adds a lot of variety to my cookie offerings and I get great reviews.

I have used, and liked, Coconut, Lime, Orange, Cherry, Lemon, Pumpkin Pie Spice, Two Fold Vanilla, Raspberry, Root Beer, Maple, Toffee, Pomegranate, Chocolate (fab for a deep tasting chocolate cookie) and more. I also love, love, love their Clear Vanilla. It is perfect for when I need a flavoring in my RI that will not compete with the cookie flavor or when I am doing white or a light colored RI(no color tint as with normal vanilla). I need to order more today as snowflake/snowmen cookies are just around the corner!

If you ever want to check them out for the future, here is a link to the page on their all-natural flavorings and extracts:

www.spicesetc.com/category/Natural-Flavorings/a

As well, here are the codes for a first time order:
CC9 flat rate shipping of $4.95 for orders within the US only
AKT9 15% for US or international orders (discount taken before shipping costs)

Choose the one code that applies to you or what you want and enter it at the beginning of checkout and then continue on.

The Flat Rate shipping will be the first option for shipping under the billing information and the 15% off will show up when looking at the summary.

Hope this helps!

Happy baking,
Tracy

sandeeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandeeb Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 9

Kris, There are two flavors with "bouquet" in their names. Wedding Bouquet and Creme bouquet. Wedding Bouquet is a very nice mix of flavors with almond being the dominant flavor and Creme Bouquet seems to have a citrus base. I have used both but I prefer the Wedding Bouquet especially for white wedding cake and buttercream icing. To me it is the perfect wedding cake taste.I have used it in sugar cookies also. Very good. I know where you can get W.B. PM me for info.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 5:49pm
post #8 of 9

I realize it has been a while since this thread was going, but I found out that Spices Etc. is offering free shipping on any size order through tomorrow, so I thought I would post the info in case anyone is interested. The offer applies to the continental U.S.. Use coupon code BRK2 when you check out or call. Here is their website, if anyone wants it:: www.spicesetc.com/ I listed more info above.

My Clear Vanilla is on its way along with Coconut and Pumpkin Pie Spice as we are hitting that time of year. thumbs_up.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 1:24am
post #9 of 9

I checked out "Spices, etc." due to Tracy's suggestion, and LOVE their extracts! My favorite for summer is key lime. And while almond is still my #1 flavor, I love anise for Christmas cookies. The only problem I have with Spices, etc. is that they offer so many yummy flavors, it's too easy to spend lots of money ordering them all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%