Coloring Fondant With Intense Colors

Decorating By pugmama1 Updated 2 Dec 2010 , 9:15pm by pugmama1

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 6

I have a wedding cake coming up using peacock colors. My questions have to do with these intense colors of blue and purple and green. How far ahead can I color the fondant without fading? 3 of the 5 tiers will be dummy and I want to work on them as far ahead as possible and I am wondering how far ahead I can work on them without risking changes in color? Are there any pointers when doing this with marshmallow fondant?
Thanks!

5 replies
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 6

pugmama1, I know AngelFood4 has started coloring marshmallow fondant with candy melts and she has been successful in getting an intense red. Maybe you could try with the other colors a little in advance?

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/11/recipe-red-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 6

id be looking as finishing with coloured dusts and lustre dust. depends on the design of the cake tho. have a look at the fairly recent sunday sweets and cakewrecks too, she did a peacock theme not too long ago.
xx

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 6

I color my mmf while I'm melting the mm. I'd rather have an entire batch of a colored fondant then color a batch of white a certain color.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks imagenthatnj! And like ddaigle said, add the color to the melted marshmallows (before the PS) - easier to get the intense colors with.

If you don't end up using candy melts to help with the darker colors, give the MMF 2-3 days for the color to fully mature (like for red or black). I do this when I make RI too.

As for fading, don't put the cake or any of the fondant decorations near a heat source (hot lamp) or in direct sunlight and it should be fine for a while without fading: maybe keep the dummies in a covered box.

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone! And that red fondant with the candy melts is amazing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%