Joanns Cancelled My Cricut Order. Can They Do That?

Decorating By bakencake Updated 7 Dec 2010 , 8:12am by StarbucksAddict

bakencake Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 19

I get their emails so when I saw their email i clicked on it. There it was, the cricut mini on their page, I quickly ordered it and a cartridge that Friday. I checked my email and got an email conformation telling me that they will be shipped in 5-7 business days.I had been looking forward to it all week. Finally I got a cricut!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been looking at and keeping up with every single post about it for the past week. Today I got an email telling me that they are out of stock. They did refund my money for the cricut. I dont understand, I went to their site and they let me click and buy it. why would they let you do that if they dont have enough inventory icon_mad.gif . I got a second email telling me that the cartridge is being shipped. I sent them an email telling them how disappointed I am with their service and to stop shipment on the cartridge since i dont have cricut. So sad icon_cry.gif had I known that there was a chance that this would happen I would have just gone to the stores and try to get one. icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif Can they do this? they dont have to honor?

18 replies
bakencake Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 19

Ps. Im soo bummed icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif . Are there any stores selling them? still bummed.

Marla84 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 19

Have you tried calling customer service? I know most black Friday sales are limited to stock on hand... but the fact that the website let you place the order when there weren't any left is an error on their part, and they should definitely honor that price. Let them know that you would have gone to JoAnn's to buy it in person if you would have known they were sold out online.

bakencake Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 19

Thank you marla. I did write them an email saying exactly that. I would have gone to the store and taken my chances in line if I would have known that ordering on line means maybe getting it.

Kitagrl Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 19

I think sometimes websites don't update quickly enough....I had purchased some really cheap clearance jewelry on one time, and they let me check out and pay and everything...but then did the same thing, refunded saying they were out of stock. I was really upset with them but I guess that's just how it goes when stock is limited and people put stuff in their carts and check out all at the same time on some websites.

Sorry... icon_sad.gif

bakencake Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 19

Kitagrl, I know. I regrouped and got it together. Im usually really easygoing and understand that things happen. It just hit me a little hard because I have been looking at all the posts on this site and keeping up with all the tips and hints you all provided for a whole week. so when I was told (insert soup Nazi) No cricut for you! I kind of broke. that plus this morning on my walk I saw a woman and a little girl on the side of the road that looked a little distressed and since im the ONLY one that offered help, and found out she was on drugs or drunk and had the little girl freezing... had to call the police...blablablah. so my day didnt start out so well. maybe it's been a week since i had cake and have sugar withdraws. going to the kitchen and practice holiday cakes icon_biggrin.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 19

I think it has happened to all of us..I wish that before you move forward with a purchase a box comes up and say Out of Stock but then again I can see how that may not work.My friend did some online shopping at Toys R us and she bought and paid for everything only to find out half of the items were back ordered until after Christmas..She was really upset and I would be too....I guess all one can do is hope you get a refund quick and look for it somewhere else.

gatorcake Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 19
Originally Posted by bakencake

Can they do this? they dont have to honor?

Yes. No. This is the problem with companies that do not have real time inventory updates.

emrldsky Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 19

I'm sorry you weren't able to get your Cricut. icon_sad.gif I've been shopping online for many years now and this does happen, especially for highly-discounted items or items that are in really high demand.

Even if they did have real-time inventory update, you could have placed your order one second after the last one was ordered. The inventory update might not even be fast enough to catch that.

I hope you're able to get a great deal on the machine in the future!!!

-K8memphis Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 2:38pm
post #10 of 19

If the cartridge does arrive--don't open it --just refuse shipment and you don't have to pay for shipping back or anything. By refuse shipment I mean just give it back to the delivery guy whenever you see him or drop off at the delivery store place. Like you didn't know that--just saying.

Sorry about that Mom & little girl. Thanks for taking care of that. It must have been really hard. What a tragedy. Hopefully they can get and take advantage of some good help and get back on the positive side of things. You were/are an angel of mercy. Hats off to you. Thank you for caring that much.

bakencake Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 12:43am
post #11 of 19

weird enough there is an update to this story. I went to the Joanns store near me, went up to a cashier and asked if they still had it. Well guess what, they did, same price. I GOT IT!!!! So if anybody is still interested ask, they had it in the back and are happy to get rid of it because they need room for the new ones coming in icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif .
PS. The toy story is now a cautionary tale I tell people about online shopping. Everyone I tell feels soo bad about the little kids.

leafO Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 12:51am
post #12 of 19

Hooray! I'm so glad you got one after all! sorry you had to go though all that though! I hope you like it, I really love mine icon_smile.gif

emrldsky Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 12:53am
post #13 of 19
Originally Posted by leafO

Hooray! I'm so glad you got one after all! sorry you had to go though all that though! I hope you like it, I really love mine icon_smile.gif

Part of me thinks that your find at Jo Anns might have been [karma/God/enter universal cosmic belief] for the good deed you did for the little girl. icon_smile.gif

bakencake Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 1:01am
post #14 of 19

Thank you for your support icon_wink.gif .

bakencake Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 1:04am
post #15 of 19

K8 and emrldsky, chances are the little girl was taken away and put in child custody. The mom was really messed up. I feel bad for the little girl, she probably misses her mom but she's in a better place im sure.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 1:05am
post #16 of 19

No, thank you for your support. It's kinda like a mini "It's a Wonderful Life" where the angel gets cricut wings.

emrldsky Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 1:07am
post #17 of 19
Originally Posted by bakencake

K8 and emrldsky, chances are the little girl was taken away and put in child custody. The mom was really messed up. I feel bad for the little girl, she probably misses her mom but she's in a better place im sure.

I'm sure it wasn't easy on you. icon_sad.gif But if that little girl is warm and fed right now, it was more than worth it. And you're right, she probably is missing her mom and just doesn't know that her life with her mom wasn't "normal" for everyone.

All we can do is hope that she's placed with a caring family. You always hear the bad things about foster care and CPS, but for every bad story, I'm sure there are dozens of success stories.

You really did do the right thing. thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 1:18am
post #18 of 19

Yes fortunately and unfortunately for them.

The angel gets the cricut wings.

We hope the little girl gets a warm bed and meal in a perfect world. Mom gets cleaned up we hope. And the next angel will find the next mom & child...

StarbucksAddict Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 8:12am
post #19 of 19

Are you talking about the Cricut Cake mini that JoAnn's Facebook page and BlogSpot had advertised for a 3 day sale (12/2-12/4) for $79.99? The advertisement that they deleted and refused to honor the price for, but didn't post anything in store about the error, so when I went to purchase, the cashier copped an attitude telling me that corporate also sent out an e-mail to their mailing list that it was an error. Riiight, didn't get that "e-mail" lady.

I complained on their Facebook page, and did receive a response. Of course, they deleted my post so that others wouldn't know about their error and even informed me of that!

I purchased the machine anyway, and it appears that they'll honor their price mistake when I head back to JoAnns. If not, its going back, solely due to their shady tactics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%